Do Deer do Fung?

David Humphries

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reference to bright colours, surely A. phalloides is not particularly colourful in terms of warning ?

Because of its contrasting colour and shape to the leaves of oaks and beeches it mostly associates with, it's easily detected and then there's the sickly sweet smell, that might attract animals, just as the odour of truffles does.

• 4 years later...
So I decided to ask them directly..........do you happen to know which of the Ganoderma species this would be?

Blank stares from the lot of em

So I then enquired of the all knowing Rhea..........quite obviously applanatum my good man, he replied :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1474394013.359835.jpg.b1c287fe37d9dfc8078c733ea20471d3.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1474394028.111445.jpg.e269ef4a36f350f93143c149eadaddec.jpg.

Edited by David Humphries

Fly Agaric is said to be a delicious culinary mushroom when prepared the right way - plenty of articles online how to - basically slice and boil in a large pot of water for half an hour, then drain and boil again in new water. It leeches all the ibotonic acid which is the harmful element. Apparantly they can withstand serious boiling without turning to mush. Then fry in butter - reportedly the most delicious mushroom going. The Italians and Japanese use it in their cuisine. Can also be pickled. If the hallucinogenic properties are desired, then drying, powering and boiling and drinking the boiled water is supposed to be the way to go - the drying process neutralises the ibotenic acid. Start with a small amount, wait an hour as it has a slow absorption time, and increase as required. I haven't tried it, but did try eating a raw small one once - didn't turn me into a berserker but I was vomiting like a real Viking about half an hour later. Didn't notice any psychoactive effects.

So I then enquired of the all knowing Rhea..........quite obviously applanatum my good man, he replied :biggrin:

[ATTACH]211510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]211511[/ATTACH].

Is this bird the equivalent of the octopous that accurately predicated football results at the world cup? Get him to Kew ASAP.

Edited by David Humphries