Coronet cuts and rips. 18 cert!!

Jason James Gairn

Surely there is justification in trying to mimic nature as much as possible in these areas, which is where people are usualy trying to de-stress themselves away from the built environment where they dont have to interact with mans total control.

This is just an old guy's observation so take that for what it is worth. But it seems to me that mankinds' biggest mistakes have been in ignoring nature or trying to mimic it. There is a need for places that people can go to study and enjoy and relax.

We have some such places set aside here and they are designated wilderness. No motorized equipment or vehicles allowed.

If we need an area that is "natural", why do we feel we have to do more than what is already being done by nature itself?

David

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just an old guy's observation so take that for what it is worth. But it seems to me that mankinds' biggest mistakes have been in ignoring nature or trying to mimic it. There is a need for places that people can go to study and enjoy and relax.

We have some such places set aside here and they are designated wilderness. No motorized equipment or vehicles allowed.

If we need an area that is "natural", why do we feel we have to do more than what is already being done by nature itself?

David

Hello David, thanks for your input.

We too have our set aside ares, but this lil' ole island of ours is very very crowded.

Not loads of 'Wilderness' left for people to enjoy here.

I work at an urban (although managed) 'wilderness'.

We have upwards of 5 million visitors every year, the balance between aesthetics, wildlife and safety is a difficult concept for our users to appreciate and for us to achieve.

Here's a Fractured/Coronetted Reduction on a 100ft Red Oak that had leaning and decay issues, next to a medium/high target area.

The poor images are due to the fact that i had a duff camera back in October 02.

1st before, 2nd fungi, 3rd during, 4th immeadiately after 5th last summer

:icon14: or :thumbsdown:

P7040022.JPG.553cd0d571d715c664c8abb1dc034a04.JPG

59765348b6971_Arbor007.jpg.a2644f83cd887ea320f2befb71ff534e.jpg

59765348b3691_Picture015.jpg.0011863c4a8805f8888f24caec736777.jpg

59765348af90e_Redoak.JPG.84c66a2d1825526f181a87ad535a3854.JPG

59765348a56c3_Before1.jpg.e767e4216ee5e809af841cf3cb59d5eb.jpg

:icon14:+ IMO, I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of wind snapped trees at/around where I work and the national park forester is pro this kind of work. Yet to get the chance to do some myself, but have a large beech to remove soon. Will try to sell a "shattered monolith" but it's on a hotel driveway.

OMG!

To think ive been doing it wrong all of these years! I would have looked at that and thought "what idiot has done that" but now my mind has been expanded.

I'm off to start painting wounds with tar, filling cavities with concrete and creosoting decaying wood. :icon14:

You first say you havent got an opinion and then say you think it is wrong ???

If you don't agree with the techniques dont do them and pass the job to others that do..... If you dont agree with a methord you will never carry it out 100% correctly...

If i disagree with something i will not do it, full stop....... :proud:

Hello Christ, I said i had no opinion. As yet i don't have one. I am interested in the opinions of others (inc, your own) on this forum. I have a lot of research to do before I would dare voice an opinion on this practice. My iintuition, which is not the same thing at all, says it's wrong.

I am an employee and cannot pass them on to anyone else. Sorry to cast aspersions on your observations of human nature my friend, but I can do anything correctly, no matter what i think of its merits. I am a professional. I see you are a law unto yourself, that's great, but when someone fells a tree full of bats and says they don't agree with laws regarding bat protection, I'm sure your bravado would take aback seat. We all do things we don't agree with from the small domestic, to paying our council taxes. that's the reality of life.

Hello Christ, I said i had no opinion. As yet i don't have one. I am interested in the opinions of others (inc, your own) on this forum. I have a lot of research to do before I would dare voice an opinion on this practice. My iintuition, which is not the same thing at all, says it's wrong.

I am an employee and cannot pass them on to anyone else. Sorry to cast aspersions on your observations of human nature my friend, but I can do anything correctly, no matter what i think of its merits. I am a professional. I see you are a law unto yourself, that's great, but when someone fells a tree full of bats and says they don't agree with laws regarding bat protection, I'm sure your bravado would take aback seat. We all do things we don't agree with from the small domestic, to paying our council taxes. that's the reality of life.

Could you please expand on your comment "I see you are a law unto yourself"and also "I'm sure your bravado would take aback seat" many thanks:icon14:

If i disagree with something i will not do it, full stop....... :proud:

This is the `law unto yourself' reference. The full stop taking it out of arb and into the wider world. If someone else had the same philosophy at work and I think you would have to endorse their rebellious nature as it is similar to your own as quoted above; if they decided to disregard the laws that protect bats, ie not doing something (like obeying this law) and decide to fell a batty tree, I am sure you would not extol the virtues of your quoted philosophy so strongly.

Hope this explains things. I wouldn't have pointed this out had I not felt you were `having a go' at my work ethic. Which indeed you were.