Willow-Crane-Removal

RC0

This is a willow removal we did earlier in the week, a previously pollarded tree. There was no access except through the house so the crane was the only practical option to get the stuff out.

We were down to 500kg max load capacity at times and on uneven ground with the crane, hence Ross the crane op got spooked early and was rocking on two legs a couple of times....nothing too scary but he later told me that his confidence wasn’t what it normally is throughout. He is 27 I believe.

Conservative lifts on a messy tree. Thanks

Part 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPxt1LLHDtU]YouTube - Willow tree Crane removal part 1[/ame]

Part 2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ03UMN4qBI]YouTube - Willow Tree Crane removal part 2[/ame]

Edited by RC0

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if your on two legs somethings going seriously wrong. So easy to have a big accident doing these type of jobs.

We're you using step cuts? Didn't look like you'd gone throught the opposite side enough/at all at times.

Sorry to sound negative, I've only ever done one of these jobs and the crane wasn't needed at all but was in the job spec. I was quite aware of how easily it could go pear shaped though.

Good job though and you went home safe so works for me.

R

Edited by ukminch
added a bit

great videos as always Reg

it takes me about 20 seconds for the whole video to stream which is great because i don't have to wait for it to buffer os load and because the internet where i live is amazingly quick

Edited by Samuel

Surely if your on two legs somethings going seriously wrong. So easy to have a big accident doing these type of jobs.

We're you using step cuts? Didn't look like you'd gone throught the opposite side enough/at all at times.

Sorry to sound negative, I've only ever done one of these jobs and the crane wasn't needed at all but was in the job spec. I was quite aware of how easily it could go pear shaped though.

Good job though and you went home safe so works for me.

R

Step cuts are the last thing you want.

The reason Reg can just makes a single cut is because he is a master of the art of getting the balance right when attaching the slings and he knows exactly what hes doing.

Great work Reg :thumbup:

Step cuts are the last thing you want.

The reason Reg can just makes a single cut is because he is a master of the art of getting the balance right when attaching the slings and he knows exactly what hes doing.

Great work Reg :thumbup:

Fair enough, whys that? As I said I have only ever used a crane once, what I did was to cut through below and then on top and let the crane lower it down as though you had a high anchor point, then on the stem cut one side, then the other and let the crane lift it off. Is this wrong?

Is it normal that legs will lift a bit?

If I did another one I'd get someone in to do it, but I really enjoyed the experience.

R

Fair enough, whys that? As I said I have only ever used a crane once, what I did was to cut through below and then on top and let the crane lower it down as though you had a high anchor point, then on the stem cut one side, then the other and let the crane lift it off. Is this wrong?

Is it normal that legs will lift a bit?

If I did another one I'd get someone in to do it, but I really enjoyed the experience.

R

If you use step cuts you can end up with more tension than you think, then when it does break free you can shock load the crane. Reg can see if the tension is right by watching the cut open as he cuts.

I think the reason the legs lifted on this job was because of the reach, as Reg says they were working with a very limited lifting capacity due the amount of reach.

I'm sure Reg will be along latter to give you more info.

If you use step cuts you can end up with more tension than you think, then when it does break free you can shock load the crane. Reg can see if the tension is right by watching the cut open as he cuts.

I think the reason the legs lifted on this job was because of the reach, as Reg says they were working with a very limited lifting capacity due the amount of reach.

I'm sure Reg will be along latter to give you more info.

Cool always good to learn, as I said the tree I did could easily have been dismantled but as it had chicken of the woods I was told we had to use a crane, so I did.

Hadn't though about being able to see the cut open up as you cut as a way of checking it's right, but if you've got it wrong I'd have thought the end reult would be the same as getting it wrong with a step cut.

I've re-read my first post and it does come across as very negative which it wasn't intended to, I was trying to ask questions but comes across more as criticism. Hope I haven't offended anyone.

R