bumble bees in trees.....

richardwernham

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression Bumbles where all protected?

If not they darn well should be, and have always treated them as such.

Mitigating the habitat loss after felling the reamining stump long after the first frosts with readily avaliable bumble bee houses, say two or three to replace the habitat would be a good and "inclusional" approach, im sure the client would agree?

CJ is correct, (never thought I'd see those words in the same sentence:lol:), the workers will all die off by the end of summer and only next years queens will survive by hibernating elsewhere. So, if you can leave the tree for a few months then all will''bee'' (:blushing:) well - assuming the nest is still dry.

I have relocated nests before, best done in the late evening when all the workers are in the nest. They can sting, but have to be really provoked before they do.

Yessssssssssss!:dancing:

I was just thinking you've been quiet lately, I will be down sometime this summer, so I'll drop in for a beer :thumbup:

Yes, me and David found a realy good healthy colony in an old Oak pollard at staverton this summer, was a joy to see. strong hive, the last time i saw that level of activity the swarm was 100,000 strong, estimated by a keeper.:thumbup1:

We had a wild colony in old Oak as well here on the estate, the old keeper said it had been there when he first came to Hales, over 40yrs ago, 3 yrs ago it died out, he thought due to varroa. :sad:

I'm glad there are still some wild colonies surviving.

Or just do this. There was a hive behind the hessian. You can see how close you can cut without making them cross

Yeah, they dig the vibrations of the saws apparently.....I have heard stories of bees on the other hand trying to sting the exhausts of strimmers....Food for thought?:blushing:

Steve...If you know of ANY legislation that protects bees in the uk, I would real like to be made aware of it...? :thumbup1:

Yeah, they dig the vibrations of the saws apparently.....:

We have worked within feet of hives several times and they havent been to fussed by a chain saw. A bee keeper did mention that strimmers really get them going. Must be a different pitch