Saw storage.

Will

Is it best to drain the oil, or fill it right up, if you store your saws for a year or more?

I'm thinking about draining and flushing through to stop blockages. If draining is the best thing, what do you use to clean it out?

Cheers Steve. Have you actually tried petrol? I thought about that but wasn't sure if the petrol would rot any rubber in the seals. These saws are going to be left for at least a year if not longer. I was thinking white spirit may be slightly less aggresive.

If they were my saws I would not worry over the chain oil,I don't think it will cause any problems.

I would empty out the fuel from the tank and run the saw till it stopped,to empty the carb:icon14::wave:

I always found that if I left a saw for even a few months then any fuel in the tank would evaporate (usually anyway) and haven't had any probs with pipes deteriorating. They always seem to start fairly well afterwards too.

Think this is one of those that doesn't have a right or wrong answer :icon14:

This is one of them questions.

We use to service and repair gardening machinery, generators etc.

We had no end of things coming in in spring when the owners had tried to start lawn mowers and strimmers and couldn't.

The diaphrams in (sealed) carbs, ie. the ones in your saws, need to be kept moist and will go brittle and hard after prolonged storage in dry conditions.

If you have open vent carbs, ie the ones with a float chamber on lawn mowers etc. The fuel if left will evaporate through the air vent leaving an oily residue that hardens and knacks the carb.

So what we did is on sealed carbs, mix the fuel very heavy, 10:1 and run till it has gone through the system and starts to smoke. Shut off , drain the tank and store.

On float type or open vent carbs, empty tank, turn off fuel tap and run engine till it stops or siply drain the float chamber till empty.

When you pull them back out after storage, fill with fresh fuel, pour a drop directly down the carb and start.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh a year with a tank full of oil most likely wouldn't hurt anything .I however have restored old saws that have sat for twenty or more and the oil is like axle grease .

Now fuel is another story .I have,as I type a Husky 181 that had only sat a year and a half sitting , on the bench and the carb will need rebuilding .Diaphragms as stiff as a bridegrooms ---well .