Thank you and goodby trusted boots!

Stevie Mac

This week I have been working for a local estate, the estate had to clear any overhanging or dangerous tree that where next to the roads. Traffic control was set up so we could stop traffic and fell the trees straight onto the road sned them and clear them off the open lane of traffic, the chipper would then follow behind us and clear the brash.

To miss as much of the traffic as possible we where starting at 5am and finishing at about 3pm so by the time I arrived on site this morning I was fairly shattered ( a 9 week old baby doesn't help with my beauty sleep). I was snedding out a tree first thing and managed to get kick back on a branch that was no longer than 6inchs, my saw hit the inside of my left boot and cut a big gouge out of it.

Needles to say I filled my pants and had to take 5 mins to think about what just happened. Spare boots on and I was back at it but with a lot more care.

This accident happened because I was tired and not giving my full attention to the task at hand!

So thank you too my trusted boots of two years you will always be a reminder of what could of happened.

Glad you didn't hurt yourself, certainly a reminder of how careful you need to be.

I do a considerable ammount of roadside tree works - you do not need to start at 5am in the morning to ''miss as much of the traffic as possible''.

You're job on roadside works is to manage the traffic competently, using traffic control, lane closures, and correct signage etc. - there is no harm in disrupting the traffic for a day or even a few days if what you are achieving makes the road safer for all to use.

Close one stevie!Thats what they're for,theres a lad down here the same on a monday morning after a heavy weekend and didn't have chainsaw boots on!Your right about the tired bit.i walked under a tree an was hit by a lump of elm and spent a night in hospital all due to a 10.30pm finish the day before!Very true about the traffic management Matt,that's what ALL RED'S are for,but there's always some one disgruntled motorist!:001_smile:

Glad you didn't hurt yourself, certainly a reminder of how careful you need to be.

I do a considerable ammount of roadside tree works - you do not need to start at 5am in the morning to ''miss as much of the traffic as possible''.

You're job on roadside works is to manage the traffic competently, using traffic control, lane closures, and correct signage etc. - there is no harm in disrupting the traffic for a day or even a few days if what you are achieving makes the road safer for all to use.

Yeah Matt I know the man in charge picked the time. We where working on the back road to Inverness from Nairn a bit notorious for people using it as a race track. We had boy racers, people not stopping at the stop signs and a couple of guys coming through our 15mph zone doing at least a ton on motorbikes.

I've seen some pictures of your jobs through Ewan Doig's facebook page. You have had some nice jobs.

Yeah Matt I know the man in charge picked the time. We where working on the back road to Inverness from Nairn a bit notorious for people using it as a race track. We had boy racers, people not stopping at the stop signs and a couple of guys coming through our 15mph zone doing at least a ton on motorbikes.

I've seen some pictures of your jobs through Ewan Doig's facebook page. You have had some nice jobs.

There's plenty of idiots on the road right enough... I always tend to put two banksmen out in the road either side of the tree being felled just incase anybody jumps the red lights, but there's still no accounting for idiots.

Was the permit granted by the Highland Council?? It's supprising because they normaly specify that traffic control should not be set up before 9.30 and must be clear by 4.30

Aye cheers - we do get some nice jobs!!

There's plenty of idiots on the road right enough... I always tend to put two banksmen out in the road either side of the tree being felled just incase anybody jumps the red lights, but there's still no accounting for idiots.

Was the permit granted by the Highland Council?? It's supprising because they normaly specify that traffic control should not be set up before 9.30 and must be clear by 4.30

Aye cheers - we do get some nice jobs!!

Yeah the permit was granted by highland council, but to be honest the estate manager who set up the operation didn't know his arse from his elbow. It was my first time on such a job so its good to know that information, cheers Matt.