thinking of starting a firewood buissness

zak

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tell us a abit about yourself mate, what have you got at the moment? - what are you struggling with? ill try and advise if you could be more specific as to your needs and wants, as its no good advising on big processors if you havent got a tractor etc. are you looking into this just as splitting with axe and saw or whatever?

will try and help, but suffering with tonsilitis and feel like death warmed up, so dont feel the best

hi logbarron, thanks for your intrest at the moment i have a good big yard to use. im looking to buy stihl chainsaw for around £200 i seen a powerhouse log splitter on ebay for £250 not sure if its any good i just dont no. also going to need net bags if you no where to get them would be good. i live in ireland and contacted the forestry board here they said they can supply me with an artic load of firewood for 1,220(euro) about 30 cubic meters they recon you about 1200 bags from that load, what do you think thanks.

hi logbarron, thanks for your intrest at the moment i have a good big yard to use. im looking to buy stihl chainsaw for around £200 i seen a powerhouse log splitter on ebay for £250 not sure if its any good i just dont no. also going to need net bags if you no where to get them would be good. i live in ireland and contacted the forestry board here they said they can supply me with an artic load of firewood for 1,220(euro) about 30 cubic meters they recon you about 1200 bags from that load, what do you think thanks.

sounds like a good place to start, chainsaw and log splitter - defo

we use Bag Supplies Penrith (Maurice Wilson) and medallion nets not sure what deliv charge would be to ireland

as for prices in euros:confused1: sorry mate, if you know the conversions, around here price for artic of hardwood about 12" diametre between £40-£50 delivered in

and you could work on if you fill a net bag with green hardwood 45x60cm nets we get in about 12ish logs, each sack and we work on about 400kgs of timber for 50 nets of logs

good point to remember zak, most nets are NOT UV stable, we stack outside to dry in the early spring etc, then cover in summer with breathable tarps, covers etc to further allow drying, if you dont the nets will just detoriorate away - or put in a good airy barn

all the best, from my sickbed mrs.logbaron:thumbup:

in a previous job i got bulk bags (non vented) from Donegal Potatoes. Dont know if they do small bags. Thats probably the closest to you. The only other conact in the north is M Large who sell processors and bags as well

firewood processors Hakki Pilke, logsplitters, sawmills, woodchippers

Donegal Potatoes Ltd

Colehill Newtowncunningham Co. Donegal

(074)9156155

Hi Zak,i dont know if you're 17 or 70 but producing firewood manually is going to be hard work,but the younger you are,the easier your body can adapt to it. A bit like using a computer - ive just copied out the advice andy gave you onto a piece of paper as ime of an age that i find using a laptop very difficult,but am learning slowly.Good luck with your firewood,with effort you will make a living.

Hi Zak,

Hi a handy local contact for net and poly bags available from http://www.lcpackaging.ie in Donegal.

Firewood Processors(New and Used), trailers and log splitters available from Oakleaf Forestry Firewood and Forestry Equipment in Co. Armagh.

It's not that hard to get started if you have the right stuff, don't get disheartened if it's slow to start and don't price too low just to get out there. If the wood is good stick to your price, It will sell!