How to make a dog swim!

18 stoner

Yep im stuck, keep taking the pup to the river but cant get her to swim for a ball or stick!

Tried several times, throwing further each time but she gets to this point then leaves the ball/stick!

Any suggestions?

pipabigailwork3508053vx4.jpg

Oh, the old dog in the pic(Snoopy) does swim, but she like to follow another dog! :alberteinstein:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same problem with my springer and you have already come up with the answer.

Wait another 3 months, run the dog ragged until it's panting like a gud un and it will gradually go right in till it's swimming.

I tried everything with mine and thats the only thing that worked. Can't keep them out of the water now, they'll break the ice to get in.

Just make sure theres a gentle shelf under the water so you dog can go in as far as it wants.

Yep im stuck, keep taking the pup to the river but cant get her to swim for a ball or stick!

Tried several times, throwing further each time but she gets to this point then leaves the ball/stick!

Any suggestions?

throw the pup in the water & leave the ball/stick on the bank :star:

As already said, its still cold, wait until its warmer then walk in the lake and encourage the dog to you. Do not be tempted to do something silly like through it in. Deans idea is good :icon14: is the dog an enthusiastic retriver if so when you think its warm enough retriving can be a fun game but don't bore it or it may jack on retriving!

The experience has to be fun for the dog.

Whilst mine will jump in any water now and dive through ice to get to it, they absolutely hate the hose pipe or the bath, they run a mile at the sound of a tap turning on.

Below is when they came home mucked up to the eyeballs and I threatened to wash them with the hose, you can tell by their expressions what they thought of that idea.

132_3240.jpg.8b2a01b53d6f07a947dcd3c4e6b965f4.jpg