cleaning rope

Ben Saxton

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nickwax techwash, that stuffs the bollox get it from your nearest blacks or outdoor retailer, follow instructions DONT wash with deturgent or sofener! wash out deturgent draw & run machine on an empty cycle to help clear any residue before putting rope & techwash in, i don't bother with the pillowcase personally but will work all the same

Unless your'e going to wash your rope more than twice a year I'm not sure it matters if you use detergent, IMO. Very few of our ropes make it past 2 years anyway before they're either cut or damaged in some way. They only get washed in a machine if they are truly manky.

If you don't want to put them in a machine, make them really wet and get one of the trainees to prussik down it.:thumbup::thumbup:

The limited research that has been done on this subject suggests that some detergents are far more damaging than petrol so please don't use detergent not even non-bio there's some nasty old chemicals in detergent even non-bio. Incidently the same research concluded that the exact right amount of conditioner maintains the performance of your rope allthough too much wrecks it but as we don't have any way of determining how much is needed this appears to be just another useless fact i suppose.

If u wash with nickwax tech wash however u can then use the nickwax rope proofer which waterproofs & conditions your rope, I proof all mine so no more wet brown gunk running into my pits!

Is the use of detergents going to be any worse than the abrasion within the ropes caused by grits etc? Or does the limited research not go as far as to determine this? Are there any instances of rope failing due to the use of detergents, if so were they bio or non-bio detergents. Surely any degradation of ropes through this is going to be so gradual that the ropes be replaced due to other reasons first?

That was my point. If you want to wash your rope regularly then perhaps detergent isn't the product to use.

Also the degree of safety in our climbing ropes and the taught line systems we employ mean that we could probably climb on starter cord and still be safe(ish). With the regular LOLER checks we only have to have 2 adjacent strands damaged and the rope is condemned. Easy to do when climbing on spikes.