First Aid

chris cnc

Hi guys, had a bit of a "reality check" situation regarding first aid today- and i was wondering, how many of you are on top of your first aid?

by this i mean, not just "qualified", but how qualified? How regularly do you recap/ re- read you first aid manual (if you even own one)? Refresher courses?

But what i really want to know is, how many of you have actually been in a serious situation where you needed to apply your knowledge, and how did you cope?

And to those that havent been in such a situation (touch wood), how do you think you would cope in one?

This question could, and does, relate to any accident/ emergency situation, not necessarily arb work.

Thank in advance for any input on this.

Im due a re sit, Which i need to book myself in on over the summer, I have given first aid to fairly serious injurys a few times and ive had first aid given to myself off work mates a few times, Simons lad Matt was great when impaled my hand, Thankfully everytime has gone well and although they werent life threatening injurys, They still required stitches or had broken bones involved.

First aid is something i take seriously, Although sometimes i do take a light hearted approach to it :thumbup1:

Edit.... what was your reality check???

Edit.... what was your reality check???

my grandad had a stroke and i was first on the scene. thankfully he was conscious when i arrived, but i did have several stressful minutes trying to recap CPR technique on the way to his house in the car.

just made me think. Although i did remain calm and collected throughout, i did have several minutes to think before i got there. An urgent, emergency situation i imagine is a lot different. I am due a refresher course in september.

my grandad had a stroke and i was first on the scene. thankfully he was conscious when i arrived, but i did have several stressful minutes trying to recap CPR technique on the way to his house in the car.

just made me think. Although i did remain calm and collected throughout, i did have several minutes to think before i got there. An urgent, emergency situation i imagine is a lot different. I am due a refresher course in september.

Hope he pulls threw ok pal :001_smile:

Its something that alot (me included) will think will never happen to them, Then when it does it slaps you in the face BIG time, First aid training is the most crucial thing you hope you never need to use.

I think ill be trying to book my refresher this week after this reminder

All our guys have first aid. One of them has battle casualty first aid. We train all our guys to climb and effect aerial rescue and then get them certificated. We regularly practice aerial rescue and time it. Hamadryad summed it up by saying that calmness is what is required. The more the guys are put into pressure situations the more likely they are likely to respond well when the crisis comes.

Good training, however, means that the crisis is less likely to come at all.

thanks for the replies :thumbup1:

Hi Chris, so sorry to hear of your sitaution that must have been quite a shock and well done for dealing with it (my guess would be insticnt would take over and 'the shock' would set in later.)

It does howveer raise a VERY important point regarding 'refresher training' and the fact the HSE promote a min. of annual, regradless of requalifying every 3 years. Soem have said before that refresher trainig for something they do 'day-in-day-out', i.e. tree climbing and using a chainsaw, is madness BUT for something you don't, i.e First Aid administering (or if you do there's something amiss), it makes a lot of sense...coz you just never know!

Lastly the other big plug here is 'relevant' training which acknowledges the standard First Aid training at your local community center whilst with a HSE registered provider may actually not address he kind of injuries and incidenst your likley to encounter (says he sincerely hoping not!)

Take care out there all and I sincerely hope your Grandad makes a full recovery...best wishes!

Paul

I think general first aid is sufficient. First aid is, after all, about ABC not patch up. Very few places in the SE are inaccessable to the emergency services so they can usually arrive in pretty short order. First aid combined with good aerial rescue skills are more than adequate, IMO. Continuous training and a proper WAH assessment should mitigate against injuries severe enough to warrant either first aid or aerial rescue.