Hot weather and machines

Theocus

I have been working with Alister from arbtalk on a big job felling 80 odd poplars. We hired a tracked Vermeer BC1000xl for the week to deal with the brash. The heat has killed this machine with it not working after 12 on most days. There is no hydraulic oil cooling on it and even the Deuzt engine gave up up and shut down.

We called the hire company out who tested it in the cool of the morning and got it working but surely a machine of this standard should work. Needless to say we are 2 days behind on this job due to the machine!!

Has anyone else noticed either with the vermeer chippers or any others that the heat has got to them.

My Timberwolf i think would work in an oven, it just doesnt get fazed!

We even attempted to use it in short bursts to keep the engine temp down but that didnt work, neither did leaving the small blower on half throttle pointing towards the hydraulic tank!!!! Its an amazing machine and can be hired from a welsh company but very frustrating. The chipper is mounted on an old yanmar tracked body.

We even attempted to use it in short bursts to keep the engine temp down but that didnt work, neither did leaving the small blower on half throttle pointing towards the hydraulic tank!!!! Its an amazing machine and can be hired from a welsh company but very frustrating. The chipper is mounted on an old yanmar tracked body.

There will be a problem with the machine. They should have no problem running on this heat.

I've known many machines suffer from the heat on the coolant side but if your getting really hot hydraulic oil then there may be an issue with the circuit. a misaligned spool valve or it circulating too much oil unnecessarily. How are the tracks supplied with hydraulic oil? is there a separate circuit? Greenmech use a "clutched" set of pumps on our safetracs so that oil is not being pumped around a circuit thus creating heat.

Well the Duetz is air cooled but even that is overheating, we took the cover off the assist heat loss but still!!!

The tracks are supplied by another engine as the machine is mounted on a yanmar body.

The hydraulic tank seems very small for the chipper and get very hot. Im sort of shocked by its performance as i have used a towed one in the past and its awesome. This machine must be having issues we dont know about. I will put an image of it up later.