woodturning

pyro

Sanding sealer is good but only on small pieces,

A pva diluted mix is ok too 3part water to 1 part pva soak item in the mix over night and then let dry,

Ronseal Wet Rot Hardener is another - The thinners used in the product is Acetone, and the rest of the ingredients are Ketone resins, used in many paint and varnish products. The product is not meant as a surface layer, it is meant to be absorbed into the wood so as the resins can strengthen the damaged timber.

Only a few options but worth an experiment to see which one you prefere :001_smile:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might try the PVA after rough turning. I've used the Ronseal stuff before, it's not bad, but pricy - as this blank is about Ø14" I think it would drink a can.

Might be a good one for a hollow form, so I don't have to sand the inside.

-the colours are more vivid than the pics show. Worth the effort? I'll save it from the wood burner for the time being.

59765a374de7b_SpaltedBeechblank2.jpg.504375a2f2e387248cb175d37c3395d2.jpg

59765a374bd53_SpaltedBeechblank1.jpg.7fb8968abba24890fccc5a0051819c4b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, it's been quiet on here for a bit... made this tonight, had to share it. Has anyone else made something like this?

I don't often make hollow forms - I wanted a good(?) way to check the wall thickness. I know an 'S' caliper would be the normal tool of choice, but I don't have one, I do how ever have a laser pen some threaded rod and some box off-cuts...

59765a4fe8282_Lasercaliper2.jpg.ff59f7ce7888c04f8c26f1f003941477.jpg

59765a4fe6897_Lasercaliper3.jpg.a4d74c33c2cd9fb0265dac73c6db4da2.jpg

59765a4fe2d9e_Lasercaliper1.jpg.830d896593c6f3167284fabf15840622.jpg

I just read through this entire thread and thought I'd jump on it.

@flames your work is amazing it's interesting to see how you're making those bigger bowls and with such lovely pieces of wood too.

I thought you guys might be interested in seeing my Pole Late. I made a it a few weeks back out of semi-green Oak. It's still very early days and all I've made so far is 'dibbers' (the things to make holes in mud when planting) out of Ash.

p49.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I also put up a crummy vid of it in action if you're interested.

In terms of tools I've currently just got a set of 4 Ashley Isles chisels/gouges but I'm looking longlingly at the Ben Orford turning hook so I can have a pop at bowls too

I'll post some pics up when I make something yet though I might have to practice a bit more first after seeing the stuff you're all knocking out!

Cheers

well youve seen the stuff i posted in my first few posts! everyone has to start somewhere so doesnt really matter IMO

Flames: how does that thingymajig work? scuse me for being dosile ive just got in from a scout meeting and the kids were being little shits.

My lathe appears ot have died this evening in mid mothers day bowl turning. not impressed as ive no money to fix it!

I did manage to make a pencil pot for a friends mum (im innocent honest :P) but i forgot to take pics of it though!

Ben

lathe semi fixed. just need to put it back together now! one wire was constantly under tension, so 1 rewire later and its a good un. though the spindle makes a hell of a racket still. think it may be warped or somthing. it has apparently had new bearings so ill ahve to look at them and check the preload.

Ben

managed to get the spindle out, in engineering terms its well worn and battered!

DSCF1825.jpg

DSCF1823.jpg

DSCF1820.jpg

DSCF1818.jpg

unfortunatly my engineering contact is on a racing tour round the uk for a few weeks! and my metal lathe wont cope with something that big!

goign to try mount it on my old wood lathe and clean it up with some emery cloth.

the bush is probably eccentric hence the noise so gona get one machined up!

also outboard thread is knackered so wil be ordering a die nut when eryc get their finger out and pay me!

Ben

Bealers, hello, welcome and thanks. Nice looking pole lathe! I saw a guy at APF who made his own hook tools... they looked very interesting, and I liked the fact that you use them to core bowls out. Not had a go with any yet, keep us posted if you get one/some.

Ben (Pyro) that spindle looks like it's been through wars - does your lathe have solid bushes? -not that familiar with the Jubilee head assembly... also you could try a triangular file to tidy up that out board thread, cheaper than a LH thread die.

-explanatory diagram of laser calliper to follow.