woodturning

pyro

Hey guys and gals

Id been after a woodturning lathe for a while, for christmas i got a basic one just for me to get the feel of things and learn the basics, (after a brief arguement with Clarke!)

Here are a few things ive made over the past few months, I didnt actually get to use the lathe untill end of march due to dissertation and uni work :thumbdown:

But here we go!

DSCF0156.jpg

Ive made nearly all the mushrooms you can see here, just a bit of fun really gets me familier with the basics!

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

And one of a few tealight holders i made today just to see if i could

thought id share with you all, tips, hints etc welcome

Ben

Edited by pyro

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good for first attempt, best advice i can give is keep your tools sharp. All depends what tools ou have, what lathe, I started off doing mushrooms and small trinket pots.

I'm no expert but any questions feel free to ask, what did you finish them with.

Yep all sound advice, thanks!

Ive only got a clarke beginners thingy, very basic, 4 speeds, but perfectly good to get started on! and ive only got 3 tools due to lack of money at the moment, One gouge, spear point and radius tool (i forget the name):blushing: They're the ones that came with the lathe, dont really hold a good edge for long but they seem to work ok for me at the moment, though i do feel im getting to the limits of the tools/lathe ive got at the moment.

oh yeah, ive got some wax balsam bees wax that ive used on a few of the mushrooms, the tealight holder has clear varnish soaked in a cloth then rubbed onto it with the lathe at high speed.

Ben

Hey Pyro,

It really doesn't matter if you have a cheap lathe or the absolute dogs doodlies of lathes, you can still get good results. The pics show you have the basic ability already, so keeping at it is only going to be a good thing mate.

Very good early efforts. Have fun with it, I got a lathe off ebay for 27 quid a few years ago & her indoors asked what good would it be. Same woman now puts me to shame with her creations at the lathe.....(Note to self.....Post some pics & stop letting her into the workshop).:001_tongue: As the lads have said, sharp tools is the key.

Home Page

This guy is amazing, have met & spoken with him, very interesting man. He lives in Warwickshire & took the time to email me after driving back from Yorkshire after the demo he did.

Sue Harker

This Lady is very good too, lovely to speak with & full of fun. She also took the time to answer my email as soon as she got home from the David Springett demo

Hope these sites inspire you

cheers, TT

ONe that i did for a friends birthday again, the other half of the bit of wood i used for my sisters birthday haha

DSCF0211.jpg

DSCF0212.jpg

probably my best one yet,

as a side line, but still related.

what would be a good set of tools/chisels to get? obviously a set of rober sorby or ashley iles, unfortuantly at the momeny money doesnt permit, is the record stuff any good?

Ben