firewood priceing

cosworth

what should i charge for a level load of hardwood firewood i have a land rover 110 high capacity last year i was selling it for £110 is it me or is that to cheap im located in west wales cardiganshire,any info would be grate

ive decided to start a 'bartering' system for logs, due to no-one really knowing what a load or a cube consists of, its early days but so far i have the local vicars niece on loan for 3 consecutive w-ends, down side is the vicar needs 3 metric american tons of quarter seasoned cordwood??????????:001_tt2:

you can sell it for what the market allows, if someone will pay you £400 a load then charge it, if they wont pay over £50 then thats the price, its up to you to work out how much it costs you to make and deliver a load of wood, and see if its worth while.

What he said... I would love to charge more but the market wont allow it down here and i would rather sell it than let it rot in the yard.

you can sell it for what the market allows, if someone will pay you £400 a load then charge it, if they wont pay over £50 then thats the price, its up to you to work out how much it costs you to make and deliver a load of wood, and see if its worth while.

I get the wood out of the woodland i own but its 12miles away so i gotta think of the diesel i use and time i am a full time mechanic and doin this as a side line,

make yourself a quick business plan as if you were going to the bank and you never had any kit or money, so you would need vehicle, fuel, kit, training, yard etc etc. Work out how much a week you need as a wage add it all up and then pick yourself off the floor when you see how much it is, then imagine trying to goo and ask the bank manager for all that money when you probably have no guaranteed customers, no contracts and you dont even know how much you can sell it for. ( remember you need to let it dry for a year aswell so no wages for 52 weeks, and if you start in spring its going to take 18 months till the following winter) Would you lend someone the money and advise them its a good business venture:biggrin: all you will do by doing firewood on the side is get a sore back, wreck your beloved landy and blunt your shiny saw and dont forget some white finger and a lot of stress if its a monsoon winter:001_rolleyes:

make yourself a quick business plan as if you were going to the bank and you never had any kit or money, so you would need vehicle, fuel, kit, training, yard etc etc. Work out how much a week you need as a wage add it all up and then pick yourself off the floor when you see how much it is, then imagine trying to goo and ask the bank manager for all that money when you probably have no guaranteed customers, no contracts and you dont even know how much you can sell it for. ( remember you need to let it dry for a year aswell so no wages for 52 weeks, and if you start in spring its going to take 18 months till the following winter) Would you lend someone the money and advise them its a good business venture:biggrin: all you will do by doing firewood on the side is get a sore back, wreck your beloved landy and blunt your shiny saw and dont forget some white finger and a lot of stress if its a monsoon winter:001_rolleyes:

Thats food for though better stick to the oil on the hands and a bad back haha

hmmmmm, as ever, 2 sides to every thread, stephen is right in what he says, if your a self employed mechanic, the money you can earn per hour far outweighs what you can accomplish by selling logs. im in the same boat as cosworth, im self employed h.g.v. mechanic, ive built up a small log round in the village, its enough to top up the wages when its dark at 3.30 and the company customers cant/wont pay their invoices on time, its a fine line between turning money over & making a small bit of profit, i wish you the best of luck

I charge £40 for a ton bag full and people just can't get enough of it so probably a bit too cheap!! Will probably put it up this year. Also sell it by the Hilux load for £110. I think it's a lot of hard work getting it all ready but come the winter it is a great money earner.

When I had my Hi cap, a few years back now admittedly I was charging £45 a load heaped up and lads with hiluxs were charging £35, by my reckoning a landy hicap filled level is about 1.6 cube, I'm working on £75 a cube this year as all timber is now bought in and thats what I need to make it pay at the minimum but I've got back into logs more to improve cashflow through winter than make any serious money off it :001_cool: