Acute Oak Decline Disease

RobArb

im not wishing to come across all smart arse, but they really are paranoid about these bacterial bleeds, ive seen so many trees overcome this, chestnuts, beeches oaks, various versions of phytopfera etc.

Its like the old days of "THE DEMONS OF D!"

I have in my charge a couple of Alnus sp with Phytopthera alni associated with them. They reside next to a lake and bearing in mind how this is transferred from tree to tree - leave or remove? :confused1:

I have in my charge a couple of Alnus sp with Phytopthera alni associated with them. They reside next to a lake and bearing in mind how this is transferred from tree to tree - leave or remove? :confused1:

do you believe that removing them will stop the disease fro spreading?

or is it better to give them a chance to adapt and overcome, potentially passing on defensive genes to a new generation ?

I know many a consultant who would eradicate/remove in the name of forest protection, but i do not agree with such a ridiculous policy.

do you believe that removing them will stop the disease fro spreading?

or is it better to give them a chance to adapt and overcome, potentially passing on defensive genes to a new generation ?

I know many a consultant who would eradicate/remove in the name of forest protection, but i do not agree with such a ridiculous policy.

Now you have a point and I do too - one I shall share. A friend of mine Joan Rose (you may have heard of her - discovered Phytophthora alni) and I informed her of this almost a year ago now. I have had 2 trees die but one stubborn old mule seems to be hanging on and I have kept an eye on her and the progress. I await the spring flush to see if she has developed or declined. I did consider removal as the target is 2 fishing swims, a public footpath and a bench - all a little haphazard to move elsewhere right now.....I shall keep you posted :001_cool:

Now you have a point and I do too - one I shall share. A friend of mine Joan Rose (you may have heard of her - discovered Phytophthora alni) and I informed her of this almost a year ago now. I have had 2 trees die but one stubborn old mule seems to be hanging on and I have kept an eye on her and the progress. I await the spring flush to see if she has developed or declined. I did consider removal as the target is 2 fishing swims, a public footpath and a bench - all a little haphazard to move elsewhere right now.....I shall keep you posted :001_cool:

:001_cool:

:dito:

:thumbup:

I too would rather see if a tree can overcome a disease/aliment/breakage etc all within safety limits of course:blushing: but was just wondering if AOD was linked with phytophthora or phytopthora came after the onset of AOD due to the little bugs and beasties eating over time causing the decline?

Forest Research - Acute oak decline

All the info you need here mate.......we have quite a few trees affected and the forestry commission have been carry surveys and monitoring. Still a relative unknown quantity at the moment. What we have been told is to leave any arisings on site to prevent spread.

i know this thread is old but.. is the info in the link still current? i spotted these oaks (i think they are affected by AODD) way north of the posted map. the first one was at christmas 40miles north of inverness, and the second just over the border in dumfries two weeks ago, both on oaks with approx 1m DBH, should i be worried? does this affect the quality/strength of the timber? as the second one is to be harvested/planked to repair an oak framed ship.

59765a5bcaa16_plank016.jpg.123877182d4213079ad54fc760835193.jpg

59765a5bc5a62_scotlanddecember071.jpg.4ee358ea20fcc141499daba2be80f6bf.jpg