Freeing up seized brake calipers?

TimberCutterDartmoor

Any advice?

Usual symptoms; red hot wheel, stinking brake pads, slight pull to one side, some vibes at speed.

Not got time for a garage job, car has to do a long journey tommorow.

Thus, not being practised (or really interested) in brakes I only know to remove wheel, remove pads, wind back caliper if poss, remove piston and emery cloth etc.

But; what else???

Sincere thanks for any advice you can proffer...

:001_smile:

If it's a common model save yourself a load of time and agro and get a secondhand caliper from your local breakers!!

Failing that as garth said check the pins, if you need to take the piston out and emery cloth it, be careful in the future as it may leak it's normally a temporary solution if they've got pitted with rust

My local motor factors told me that they no longer do service kits for calipers or pistons, they come new a significant cost but nobody repairs weeping brake components anymore. I was even told that I could not get a set of shock bushes as new shockers were easier to fit.

Think I've done it chaps! Cheers for the input. Pins / Glides came out with a 7mm hex and have copper-greased them up. Removed caliper, piston didn't seem terrible but have sprayed and removed rust spots inside the rubber boot without turning in the barrel (didn't want to break seal at the back). Admit I used a grinder to remove some crap off the disc edges and remove a burr on the inner edge of the outer disc since this was rubbing the pad. Pads were a bit glossy so roughened them up with a file. Bizarrely the inner disc has a high spot - proper eccentric visible when the hub is spinning round (had the vehicle on axle stands so engaged drive to observe). Also bent back the cooling guard thing and applied a file to inner disc edge to remove rust etc. Seems much better now - no vibes, noise, sticking or baking hot wheel anymore! Hope it lasts - doing a biggy in her tommorow; 600 miles or so!

My local motor factors told me that they no longer do service kits for calipers or pistons, they come new a significant cost but nobody repairs weeping brake components anymore. I was even told that I could not get a set of shock bushes as new shockers were easier to fit.

Shocking innit.

It only takes the wrong type of grease on the sliders and in no time, you are back to square one..seized:biggrin:

Shocking innit.

It only takes the wrong type of grease on the sliders and in no time, you are back to square one..seized:biggrin:

I've juat done all the brakes on a pajero. All the sliders were totally seized up but managed to get them out in the end. Whilst looking on the net I saw that you should'nt use copper grease to grease them up, it'll make them seize again in no time. It said that you shoud use silicone grease fro these parts they'll be right for years. Maybe worth whipping them out again before they do re-seize and slap some on.

i've juat done all the brakes on a pajero. All the sliders were totally seized up but managed to get them out in the end. Whilst looking on the net i saw that you should'nt use copper grease to grease them up, it'll make them seize again in no time. It said that you shoud use silicone grease fro these parts they'll be right for years. Maybe worth whipping them out again before they do re-seize and slap some on.

bo lux !