looking at going freelance. advice needed...

jeepster

Somebody's gotta be chief and somebodys gotta be the indians.

There will only be one bill going to the customer won't there?

However' date=' IMO there's no reason why, on a larger site, that one crew couldn't be bona-fide subs to the other.[/quote']

I have worked on site like that. 2 smaller firm, one of which I freelance to.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is up whats the difference between a sub contractor and free lancer?

is it that the sub contractor is another hwole company and a free lancer is just one bloke?

Hi my understanding of these terms are as follows . they are different . When you are subcontracted you are hired as self employed by the main contractor that took on the job in the first to provide your service to them Ie grounding or climbing for the day /week month.

As a subby You might have to provide your own equipment depending on the agreement between you and the main contractor. Also as a subby you agree your own day rate and payment terms with the main contractor before you take on the job.

Free lancer is just another term usually used by a individual offering there services to different company's to use there services ie grounding /climbing or what ever service they are offering .

Hope this helps

Littletree:thumbup:

Franks bit.......

To cut a long story short, he called on his PL provider (Trust) and told them what had happened. He used the term that he only uses Bonafide subcontractors and they informed him that he didn't have EL cover... and that he needed to speak to my insurer.

This is the problem. He should not have used the term BFSC, as this was incorrect, but the insurance company used this to get out of paying. You were an employee that day, and you should have been covered, no matter what decisions you made.

Sorry Rupe but, how is that Franks bit? Someone else said that, it was nothing to do with me mate. Haha. I just said I thought you needed to be insured to go work for someone else freelance style. Didn't realise it wasn't a legal obligation.

Hi my understanding of these terms are as follows . they are different . When you are subcontracted you are hired as self employed by the main contractor that took on the job in the first to provide your service to them Ie grounding or climbing for the day /week month.

As a subby You might have to provide your own equipment depending on the agreement between you and the main contractor. Also as a subby you agree your own day rate and payment terms with the main contractor before you take on the job.

Free lancer is just another term usually used by a individual offering there services to different company's to use there services ie grounding /climbing or what ever service they are offering .

Hope this helps

No it doesn't help at all. Haha. To subcontract, someone has got the contract and the subbies go do the work, they earn their money and the contractor earns his for very little effort.

Freelancers work for multiple companies providing their own labour and or equipment.

I think haha

While this is up whats the difference between a sub contracter and free lancer?

is it that the sub contracter is another hwole company and a free lancer is just one bloke?

The same person can fall under either category whilst in the pay of another, depending on the circumstances.

I have had a self employed person work with me under my direction as part of a crew. In that case they are a freelancer.

I have also given that person an address and job specification and they have made their own arrangements, turned up with there own gear and carried out the work. In that case they are a bona-fide sub contractor.

When calculating my year-end insurance declaration, I apportioned part of the money paid to them during the year in one category, and part in a another, which was how I was told to do it by the Insurance company when I rang them about it.

The same person can fall under either category whilst in the pay of another' date=' depending on the circumstances.

I have had a self employed person work with me under my direction as part of a crew. In that case they are a freelancer.

I have also given that person an address and job specification and they have made their own arrangements, turned up with there own gear and carried out the work. In that case they are a bona-fide sub contractor.

When calculating my year-end insurance declaration, I apportioned part of the money paid to them during the year in one category, and part in a another, which was how I was told to do it by the Insurance company when I rang them about it.[/quote']

Yep this is the way I understand it too. :thumbup:

I'm not advocatign NO insurance, but ONE policy per job site please!!!!!!

but how can this actually happen? You might not do 2 RAs and might not refer to 2 different insurance policies on each job but my point is this:

say for instance someone freelances to 5 different companies local to him, theses companies have all the neccessary insurances. He works for them as a climber on big jobs. He owns his own climbing and rigging kit and saws. He does 2 days here 1 day there for each of the 5 companies and charges a set day rate for the work he does. He has a company name and a business account to sort his tax return out at the end of the year. When his mates birds sisters aunties friend wants him to give her a price to deadwood her large beech tree, he needs his own insurance. When he wants to go and trim that huge leylandii hedge and Johnno from down the road is gonna help him out for the day, he needs his own insurance.

It would be far too easy for him to just work off everyone elses insurance and then not worry about it for the odd little job but then he would be working illegally.

That was my point.

Yes, I see your point, but while he is working for the other five firms his insurance policy should have no place on those jobs. i.e. it might as well no texist as far as those employers are concerned.

Hope this helps

Everything you are describing here is freelancing/self employed and not sub contracting.