Via ferrata, has anyone done it?

brewx1

Heading to Cortina, Italy in September and going to have a bash at some via ferrata. Wondering if anyones had a go and got any experiences/ recommendations/ advice.?

We're competent on rock and just fancy getting up into the mountains a bit as bouldering is my main type of climbing and this will be a new style to us all. cheers.

It's seriously wicked.. I've only done three runs in France. You get the height and the excitement without too much danger. I will get the name of a book for the Italian Via Ferrata a bit later for you.

I'm off to do a few more this summer, am going to take the 13y.o. son, as I think he is ready for it. It's like Go Ape with out the cost and it's a bit more solid footing.

Brilliant fun. Make sure you use the proper via feratta attachments though, you can seriously tool yourself if you don't. Also on some of the less touristy ones consider how you'd deal with a situation if you fell off. A rope, a couple of slings and crabs could be worth carrying.

R

OMFG you crazy buggers!!!! I just google via ferrata, as i didnt really know what it meant, and some of the pics are scary to put it mildly!!!

Whilst on crazy adrenalin fuelled rusting bits of metal excusing themselves as walkways LOL, have you any plans to do this:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXrVG7aoizc]YouTube - Caminito del Rey[/ame]

Good to hear enthusiastic comments, I'm looking forward to it.

Funny enough the guys I'm going with have actually done some of that walkway in El Chorro some years ago, but only what they had to to reach a particular sport route they wanted to do. I know they found a couple of sections very hairy indeed and I can now see why. Cheers.