Most Dangerous Job

Dean Lofthouse

It seems to me that reading through some of the comments as i browse through different threads on here to see people making comments that appear to set themselves and this trade on a pedestal.

Ive been in this industry probably longer than most on this forum --- before a lot of them were born. Ive seen some of the pics of work done , and read comments about other peoples work some good -some bad when the truth is the people that made the comments wouldnt know a good job if it hit them in the face. Ive also met a massive cross section of people working in the trade.What you will find as you go down the years is that the best preventative of accidents is experience not bits of paper--Im still learning after 35 year s it could be said that there are numpties in every walk of life-- we appear to have a few running this country at the moment,

This is not a personal attack on any one person on this forum but , more a way of saying that sometimes we should step back and look at ourselves both as individuals and an industry and perhaps not appear to be too judgemental of others cos some of the people that choose to read this forum could potentially HAVE been your very next customer

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What always suprises me is how farmers can drive on public roads with little or no lighting on trailers etc.

Open back trailers.

Spead slippy cow sh**e all over the road.

Kids in one person tractor cabs.

Over loaded trailers- the list goes on.

I recon they have a hard job so I'm not saying they should be singled out. My point is that we have to be so careful loading, traffic management, crappy lighting boards on chippers and trailers constantly being fixed, risk assesments- and yer load weights!

Why one rule for them and another for us?:cussing:

Is it because of our apparent dangerous work?

This isn't aimed at you logger but time served in the industry or any industry doesn't make you good at it either.

You only need to looked at the building proffession to see that.

I understand what you are saying though, bits of paper don't either.

I know people with degrees coming out their ears that can't change the fuse in a plug :wave:

I was not suggesting pecontools that im good at everything , i did in fact state that im still learning. The only difference is that all my cutting days were payed on piecework not price per job and so just to survive for all those years there must have been something there.

What always suprises me is how farmers can drive on public roads with little or no lighting on trailers etc.

Open back trailers.

I recon they have a hard job so I'm not saying they should be singled out. My point is that we have to be so careful loading, traffic management, crappy lighting boards on chippers and trailers constantly being fixed, risk assesments- and yer load weights!

This is certainly true of the older farming types.

In my recent experience the new boys have become so health & safety aware that they make me rethink my safety policy.

I'm not so sure of the chainsaw world,an awful lot feel that law and best practice dont apply to them.

Open back trailers.

being of farming background I find that the exception rather than the rule, I know plenty of other trades that over load have dodgy lighting you just notice it more at twenty miles an hour.

Are the figures for our industry arb related accidents or chainsaw related accidents?

If chainsaw related does that include the "experts" that bought their saw from a diy shop with no PPe to be seen then cause unknown desasters in their garden!!!!!!!!

Then our insurance goes off the a&e chainsaw related instidents.