Pricing for timber for milling

Big J

They've started felling the big stuff these last couple of weeks. First off is all the knackered, rotten beech and sycamore, then onto the (predominantly) Oaks.

Nice Oak felled earlier in the week. Quite a clean 20ft length at approximately 30-32 inches in diameter, though touching 3ft at base. Potential to be a bit pippy. What would you guys pay/offer for that?

Jonathan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They've started felling the big stuff these last couple of weeks. First off is all the knackered, rotten beech and sycamore, then onto the (predominantly) Oaks.

Nice Oak felled earlier in the week. Quite a clean 20ft length at approximately 30-32 inches in diameter, though touching 3ft at base. Potential to be a bit pippy. What would you guys pay/offer for that?

Jonathan

Are you going to mill it? If so then that should make it cheaper, how are you going to extract it? What was the wood going to be used for originally? Can it be milled without clear-up on site? All things that need adressing 1st. Try your luck by offering them a bit of cash (lowish of course). I got a section of Oak (32" boards from it, 8ft length) for £20 recently just gave them a drink out of it, they were happy as they didn't have to clear it away.

No chance of getting it for a song I'm afraid. The estate is managed by:

Scottish Woodlands - Forest, estate & land-related services

and they are up on the value of good Oak (unfortunately). I would mill it, and extraction is no issue as it is directly by the road side. I would probably mill it in situ actually, though I would have a reasonably large amount of sawdust to get rid of after.

My best guess for the log (on the basis of calculating the hoppus footage at 87 cube) is about £350. That's £4 a cube on stuff I can sell for £35. There is no shake at all in the log and little branching. What Scottish Woodlands want to do though is package up all the Oak, which will be difficult for me in terms of storage and affording half a dozen trees at £300-400 each.

Jonathan