mountain biking

kevwrenn

might be in the market for a new bike....dont know what to look at. mainly xc with occasional extra fun thrown in. Hardtail or full suss?????? disc brakes??? prob around 5 -7 hundred area... heavyish rider any suggestions cos i know some of you ride a bit... not worried about last seasons colours if that can save me a bit...

Kev.

i'm still cruising around happily on my 06 spesh rockhopper pro, i can't fault it in anyway.

I got it from edinburgh bicycle. they do their own range of bikes as well. i used to ride on and for the price i think they are top notch. oh and my girlfriends brother works there:proud:

Jamie

I'm with JH on this full sus for 700 will be heavy and over complicated and you probably wont use it for what full sus is designed for. I'm on an 2nd hand cannondale with hyd disks and front shock, (from a mate upgrading to a full sus orange 5).

Being of a "larger" nature I've swapped the 1.8 front tyre up to a downhill spec 2.0. Saves me bottoming out the sus when I give it Wigan downhill.

Try going 2nd hand to get the disks (hydraulic if you can, they stop you like something else!) and front sus.

might be in the market for a new bike....dont know what to look at. mainly xc with occasional extra fun thrown in. Hardtail or full suss?????? disc brakes??? prob around 5 -7 hundred area... heavyish rider any suggestions cos i know some of you ride a bit... not worried about last seasons colours if that can save me a bit...

Kev.

I have a merlin malt 2 from merlin cycles from preston lancs, brilliant value with no problems at all check there website http://www.merlincycles.co.uk they always have an offer of some form or another on, there other make is rock lobster both bikes start from around the £500 mark and are all disc specific either mechanical or hydrulic, tip though if your going hydrulic upgrade to the higher end of the market for your brakes.

Kev, for what you've got round your way its gotta be a hardtail. A last year's spesh or kona would be a good bet.

Other thing you could try is the hire shop at sherwood pines, find out when they sell off their fleet, you'd be able to get a steal there.

I've got both a hardtail (on one inbred, SS, carbon forks) and a full suss (Coiler deluxe) and the inbred is getting the most use at the moment.