Bat Boxes?

chris cnc

Hi all,

I want to start offering "bat box installation" as a service. i may be wrong but i imagine there is a little more too it than "nailing a box up a tree"? or is it that straight forward?

What is the recommended height? i imagine this varies with species...

Any good sources for the boxes themselves? available in garden centers or does anyone on here sell them?

Should they be checked regularly or at all?

Also, method of attachment to tree?

Thats all i can think of for now, just thought id check before i went ahead and started doing it wrong!

Cheers, Chris

you could make them yourself and save money, there is a page with the bct and it will show you how and the size and type of wood to use, there are various books too. if you join the bct or your local bat group they can help you. there are a few things like putting up 3 or 4 boxes so the bats have a variety in temperature.

nice tips guys thanks, i might have a bash at making my own box, hama's link has some plans on it.

touchwoodtrees thanks for the help i might be interested in making an order in the near future depending on demand, so if you have any pics that would be good.

thanks for the tip that's a good site!

to anyone who does this, how much interest do you get from the general public in regards to bats? do many people call you just to install a box?

Nice service to offer on a personal level. From a business point of view, it wont make you any money offering to put up a few boxes for domestic customers.