Idling issue with 088

Big J

I finished filling my kiln a few weeks ago and about a day before I finished milling, I lost the idle on my main 088. It would start and run under throttle, but once off the throttle the revs blipped slightly and then the saw died. Thankfully I have an older, back up 088 which I was able to finish the milling off with.

I spoke to A and S Spences in Edinburgh and they suggested it might be a carburettor issue but to check the fuel filter first (which I did, to no avail). The saw is a little used 2000 model belonging to my uncle. He has had it from new and it has only seen to the occasional large fell before I starting using it for milling. It's seen about 10-12 days milling since then and has been well maintained by myself. It has never idled quite as well as my older 088, but it stopping working altogether is new.

Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

Jonathan

Milling makes more dust than cross cutting and it gets places it shouldn’t.

It does sound carb likely.

Start with the usual clean out on the carb. Make sure there is no dust under the diaphragm and that the sieve in the carb isn’t bunged up. You will need to take the carb out to do this.

If that doesn’t cure the problem we move on to the high and low rev settings. On the L/H side of the saw there are 2 holes marked H and L. There is usually an indication of the default settings indicated by a circle with an arrow and a number of turns on the plastic cover next to the holes. (it’s usually 1 or 1.5). Gently turn each screw in till it stops. Now back them off as indicated to get the default setting.

If that doesn’t cure it the next stage is new carb internals or a new carb.