large beech with (Ustulina Deusta.) good job!

simon thompson

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wearing my 'H&S' hat (NERD!!!) I have to admit to cringing when I saw the title to the post...Beech+Ustulina+rigging = aghhhhh!!!

The HSE rigging research (see RR668: Evaluation of current rigging and dismantling practices used in arboriculture) gives every example where Ustulina (Kretzschmaria) appears, on Birch and Ash, a 'RED FLAG' (see p.40 & p.46) which essentially means be (very) careful and consider other means IF it has to be rigged...crane?

Whilst the whole document involves serious reading the piccies and illustartions are really good. See also the climbers risk assessment matrix (Fig. 2.5) on p.30

Further section 2.7.1 (p.68) states particular concerns about the effects of UD on tree root structural integrity and seriously questions suitability for rigging, and of course climbing too.

Sect. 3.1 "Establish a Safe Strategy", p.73, and p.74 the associated flowchart is also worth a read.

SORRY (genuinely), not meaning to pass an opinion nor be critcial here at all, and obvioulsy the job went well and all is okay which is great, BUT this research containing this advice is now available to the industry (albet not in the most user friendly / readable format) and we do need to be aware of it and its implications for our operations.

Stay safe all..!

Paul

To be honest wasn't much lowering managed to get away with a lot of it don't like shock loading when they got ustulina just took small bits off first and built my way up to see how it reacted felt really strong will probably get ripped to bits here but lowering equipment consists of a rope sometimes a block I'm a bit old fashioned for a young lad

Happy Days good job guys . Lorry Thompson now Simon Thompson you,ll be telling me next your related to the great comedian Bobby thompson :thumbup:

Happy Days good job guys . Lorry Thompson now Simon Thompson you,ll be telling me next your related to the great comedian Bobby thompson :thumbup:

Or the Thompson twins:lol: sorry showing my age now. Anyone under 30 may have to google them to understand my joke:blushing:

"Do you have a picture?..........into your world? An image of me...." I'm not under 30 either!

N I'm crap at pop trivia so I'm probably completely wrong!

Paul

Your expectations of the quality of my joke were much to high mate. I was merely mentioning them as the name sprung to mind, as obviously the comedians name did to apbell. :laugh1:

Thanks for that paul,

the bits of lowering we did was small bits and the section getting lowered did not at any point stay in the air holding its weight on the tree, the rope was ran through our hands untill we were sure the branch would miss the wall then let go gradually to hit the floor : )

We not related to bobby nor the thompson twins but there will be some thompson twins, lorrys wife is having twin boys, then my lass is pregnant too, they due 2 days apart from each other ha

Thanks for that paul,

the bits of lowering we did was small bits and the section getting lowered did not at any point stay in the air holding its weight on the tree, the rope was ran through our hands untill we were sure the branch would miss the wall then let go gradually to hit the floor : )

We not related to bobby nor the thompson twins but there will be some thompson twins, lorrys wife is having twin boys, then my lass is pregnant too, they due 2 days apart from each other ha

You and your brother must do everything at the same time:lol: