stump grinding

winger

Hi all,

I am fairly new to this forum, ive just been browsing over the last couple of weeks just on general chit chat etc.

I am after some advise from you all, so please feel free to reply.

Ive been thinking of completing a NPTC stump grinding course, then go on to buy a machine (havent decided which model yet.)

I was wondering what you would do? Whether you would get a contractor in or grind them out yourselves, bearing in mind theres some big old trees out there!

This would start off as a part time venture, then if the work came in maybe go full time.

So please any views and advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Winger:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

were are you Winger? There is a Major franchise just up the road from me. Have you enough work to justify buying a machine and do your customers want stump grinding as well. I think a lot of customers baulk if you give an all up price including grinding!?

Hi deerman,

I take it your on about stump busters? (not to far from me-self either) Nothing is in the pipeline at the mo, just putting out me feelers, like i mentioned it would only be a part time venture to start with, just wanted to see what feed back id get from you guys.

Hi deerman,

I take it your on about stump busters? (not to far from me-self either) Nothing is in the pipeline at the mo, just putting out me feelers, like i mentioned it would only be a part time venture to start with, just wanted to see what feed back id get from you guys.

I reckon you'd get a fair bit of work if you advertised well and under-cut stumpbusters, after all they must get enough work to warrant being in business.:icon14:

I reckon you'd get a fair bit of work if you advertised well and under-cut stumpbusters, after all they must get enough work to warrant being in business.

:icon14:They also charge at a premium rate so to fund the franchise. Do some more research and good luck!

I get a guy in who has his own stump grinder.

I don't get enough requests for stump grinding to warrant buying (and running) a decent machine.

I've recently developed a theory that the reason we never get asked to do much stump grinding is because we don't really push for it. If you mentioned, every time you priced a take down, that you also did stump grinding I reckon it might warrant buying a machine. Obviously if you had a stump grinder you would also add this to your advertising. What do you reckon?:dontknow:

My thoughts exactly, that guys gotta cough up just over 3k per year to the company before he starts making any money, as for taking trees down, i dont own a chainsaw ticket yet.

All this Arb stuff is totally new to me, im a complete novice.