Running Cost of Chipper Per Annum

Albedo

Anyone got any figures on total annual running costs of a chipper. I'd like to compare it to my tipping costs. Happy to share these if necessary, but needs a bit more doing of the books right now.

I know this is one of my 'How long is a bit of string' questions, but I find that with all the variables, and disagreements, the general idea you get at the end is useful.

Some variables are.

Age, size, frequency of use and so on.

Would like to get an idea anyway, including fuel, maintenance everything. excluding purchase and finance though.

Having a chipper beats tipping for other cost efficiency and work efficiency reasons, but would like an idea of chipper running costs anyway, especially second hand TW's.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuel £10-15 per day, absolute maximum £25 if it runs full bore for 5 hours

blades about £5 to sharpen one set per fortnight, still on the same 3 sets I got with the machine 3 years ago

service about £50 for parts and a couple of hours to do it 3 times per year

grease about £10 per year

One offs over the last 3 years have been an axle as I bent the original - £250, new switches - £20

The chipper (Yr 2000 entec 25hp 6" petrol) cost me £3000 3 years ago and I could sell it for the same money tomorrow I am sure.

Hope that helps

Cheers STS.

This year I worked about 150 - 200 days (on tree work), and spent about 600 squids on tipping at approx £25 per tonne. Thats 24 tonnes of mostly reductions on small trees and hedges as I don't do anything big, at least without hiring in another firm to help. In which case I don't do the disposal.

I think its a no brainer that your entec beats this but haven't done the maths yet. I'd have loved an old entec for 3k, but they are like rocking horse s***.

My reason for not buying a chipper was imminent re-immigration to NZ - its a long story. As its that time of year for doing the books I was just wondering

Paul, you say "tipping costs" is this at a recycling centre ie processed for mulch, or landfill. if you had a chipper, would this mean you would need to rent extra space to store a chipper, and the chippings will require storage even short term?

I,d have to say the little TW is a great machine . Problems we have had were mainly electrical gremlins and the like . Water getting into the switch control box and also into the no stress thingy :lol: . This little machine is a 2000 model kohler 18 hp quite a punchy engine . Its an early TW with the swan neck towing chassis which did develop a hairline crack . This crack started from were they pop rivet the id plate on. So that was welded up . Regular oil changes and filter changes and the kohler engine will take some stick , no pun . With sharp rollers and blades it does put some larger machines to shame :biggrin: . I can pull mine over a lawn on my own . For a small outfit these are great chippers .

Cheers STS.

This year I worked about 150 - 200 days (on tree work), and spent about 600 squids on tipping at approx £25 per tonne. Thats 24 tonnes of mostly reductions on small trees and hedges as I don't do anything big, at least without hiring in another firm to help. In which case I don't do the disposal.

I think its a no brainer that your entec beats this but haven't done the maths yet. I'd have loved an old entec for 3k, but they are like rocking horse s***.

My reason for not buying a chipper was imminent re-immigration to NZ - its a long story. As its that time of year for doing the books I was just wondering

I only work 3 days a week which could account for the low incidence of breakdowns. Buy well and you won't lose any money on the chipper. Look after it and it will look after you.

You can also make additional money subbing yourself out to gardeners or other tree surgeons to chip and remove their waste if you choose. Mine goes out at £50 per hour (operated by me), min 2 hours a time to a couple of local landscapers once a month or there abouts.

I only work 3 days a week which could account for the low incidence of breakdowns. Buy well and you won't lose any money on the chipper. Look after it and it will look after you.

You can also make additional money subbing yourself out to gardeners or other tree surgeons to chip and remove their waste if you choose. Mine goes out at £50 per hour (operated by me), min 2 hours a time to a couple of local landscapers once a month or there abouts.

Who pays for the fuel ? Sorry I take it thats all in ?:blushing:

Paul, you say "tipping costs" is this at a recycling centre ie processed for mulch, or landfill. if you had a chipper, would this mean you would need to rent extra space to store a chipper, and the chippings will require storage even short term?

Its a recycling centre, CRJ services at Allostock in Cheshire, They won't mind a plug. They take all the council waste but also all the little guys, done on a weighbridge.

And very good point Andy as I don't have a yard, and actually have nowhere at all to operate from as the council came down on me for using the saw at home base. I operate out of an area the size of my truck. I cut all the firewood on site and split with an axe at home base.

Would probably store the chipper at home and tip the chip at various places that take chip for free.