Allowable Expenses

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont pay tax on about the first 5k profit. You can pay your wife 5k as well without paying tax or national insurance. You pay your wife for answering the phone, doing the books, washing your work wear and listening to your moaning ( consultancy ) and any thing else you can think of. A few years back you only paid 10% on the next 5k but the Labour government stuffed that along with the huge increase in nat ins about 5 years ago.

Earning 21k you should be eligible for family tax credits. If it does not sit right with you think of it as legal income tax recovery :biggrin:

The Labour government promise was to top up your wage to 24k if you had children.

Sounds like you don't need the accountant dean unless you need audited accounts for a loan or something.

As it stands you could put your numbers in the online tax return and it calculates the 6k ish allowance for you anyway.

So were at the stage now with this thread where you still need the magic allowance that would legally allow the keeping of some profit without the paying of tax on it.

I thought that accountants were supposed to find ways of doing this legally.

By the way, didn't you put up a similar thread to this last year:001_smile:

What I meant was sneaky/dodgy ie 'good' accountants claim for stuff you havent spent on and move expenses around so they look better

Sorry, i didnt realise you were being sarcastic by saying "good"!

Do you mean you can say you spent xx amount paying your wife so you can claim the tax back but you dont pay your mrs?

NO, NO, NO!

My wife does my book keeping, she is not paid, but the accountant claims an allowance for her time spent doing them!

And dont ask how he does that, i dont know, he is the accountant!:001_tt2:

mate of mine buys booze by the case and pays for restraunt meals through the business and writes it off as entertainment and gifts for customers....................even though it was all for him, same for partys etc, hotel rooms, weekends away

Lol this is most definitely fraud. :001_smile:

You could also tell him to write blag invoices out for uneeded work ie someone charged him 2k to service machines, 1k to jet wash his yard, 30k for subbie work etc.:thumbup1: