new stove and fuel spec

moved house so need a new woodburner, looking at connecting to central heating so looking for a boiler stover...any suggestions???

any way, not the reason for the post,

whilst looking through the leaflets for wood burners i have noticed that they now recommend the wood is dry to 20%, no mention fo softwood not to be burnt, just all wood is dry.

finally, now all we need is for the public to change their views:thumbup1:

,,,majority appear to go with a Dunsley Yorkshire Boiler stove?

If your recess is big enough as its a monster? (730mm Height to spigot top, 535mm Width & 415mm Depth plus front ledge?)

DEFRA approved for smoke cnntrol areas too but not Contempory looking, then again a stove for rads shouldnt be modern looking as its all about having the power/KW to run to the rads!

Hazarding a guess here but many say as long as its dry it gonna burn with varying success/heat/time etc.?

If you find your gonna be burning all sorts of stuff i`d opt for a higher grade flue liner 904 over the 316 standard grade!

I`d grab a moisture tester from Ebay for <£10 too and if its under 25% your good to burn?

two penneth over :001_smile:

Interestingly - if you click on the "wood stove" bit on the link you gave - the form you get to fill in is entitled "Automated wood pellet stove enquiry form" - so whether the grants are available for "normal" stoves isn't clear.

Also, my recent experience of these grant schemes is that basically that they're a bit of a backhand operation. We had a new gas boiler fitted under a grant scheme, and it had to be an approved boiler fitted by an approved installer etc - who may come from miles and miles away. The installers and appliance people pay to be approved, then the gummint pay them to do the installs. And funnily enough - when they come round to price the job up, it always seems to work out at just about the full cost of the grant!

I know what a new boiler costs at trade price - and the estimate for our installation was way way above that for a case of basically removing one boiler from the wall and fitting a new one in it's place. So while we did get the grant from the gummint - the costs suggested to me that they could have got an awful lot more for their money - or done three times as more energy saving boiler changes with the same money in other words.

People on other forums have mentioned that the price for a particular job in the renewables area has always been a lot higher with the grant than without - which basically ensures that the approved installers can make as much as possible out of it, while the government can coo about what a good job they're doing of saving the planet. The customer has ended up paying a very similar amount either way. It just all seems a bit of a scam to me.

Regarding the moisture levels - many modern stoves and particularly those that are heating water as well extract so much heat from the fire that flue condensation can be a problem and this is obviously worse if wet wood is being used. Friends of ours with an Esse wood fired range cooker had major problems with tar build up recently and they were burning very dry wood - around 11-14%. In their case it was the boiler return stat being set too low, which meant that the boiler was always full of coolish water. This was cooling the flue gases to the extent where the flue was almost blocking completely with tar and crud within a week or two. Had they been using wood at 25% or so - it would have been even worse.

Andy

If your recess is big enough as its a monster? (730mm Height to spigot top, 535mm Width & 415mm Depth plus front ledge?)

DEFRA approved for smoke cnntrol areas too but not Contempory looking, then again a stove for rads shouldnt be modern looking as its all about having the power/KW to run to the rads!

Hazarding a guess here but many say as long as its dry it gonna burn with varying success/heat/time etc.?

If you find your gonna be burning all sorts of stuff i`d opt for a higher grade flue liner 904 over the 316 standard grade!

I`d grab a moisture tester from Ebay for <£10 too and if its under 25% your good to burn?

Installed a Dunsley Yorkshire day before the snow arrived. Thankfully does exactly what it says on the packet and have been warm as toast all winter. Only downside is it gets very hot if you have kids it will need to be guarded and even opening the door you will need to use the proper tool otherwise you will burn your fingers.

i'll find the other link, i've had 3 friends get them through the RDA,, all they had to do was fill in a form with the price etc etc, wait for the yes reply, get installed from whoever they felt like, send in receipt and wait for the check.... same as the boilers which the inlaws just replaced..

Had to laugh when I read you were giving firewood advice to a bloke who's name on here is Firewoodman. I think he might have a moisture meter already mate.:lol:

You might want to consider dropping the idea of claiming for a grant to install a wood burner.

Why? Because in April 2011 the Government will (hopefully) launch the new Renewable Energy Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme. Under this scheme you get nothing towards the initial capital expenditure, but you will get 9p for every kWh of heat produced, for the next 15 years!!:biggrin:

However, watch out, as log boilers might not qualify. You might need to consider a woodchip boiler instead.

You might want to consider dropping the idea of claiming for a grant to install a wood burner.

Why? Because in April 2011 the Government will (hopefully) launch the new Renewable Energy Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme. Under this scheme you get nothing towards the initial capital expenditure, but you will get 9p for every kWh of heat produced, for the next 15 years!!:biggrin:

However, watch out, as log boilers might not qualify. You might need to consider a woodchip boiler instead.

...now then, where did I leave that woodchip pelleting machine...:001_smile: