Phaeolus schweinitzii?

Paul Barton

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

went to look at this cedar today.........having looked through this thread i'm astonished to see that it is the exact same tree at 'highpoint' highgate/hampstead as the one you have posted here Mr Humphries.!!:laugh1:

What a small world we live in....

As can be seen from Davids shot it is a big twin stemmer with the fruiting bodies on the l/h side stem as you look at it. This stem has a lean towards a busy road. There are probably 4 or 5 old fruiting bodies also on the stem. It has been cable braced in the past but having looked at the tree today I was told that this snapped a couple of years ago and has never been renewed.

Giving that schweinitzi can lead to stem fractures i'm presuming that the advice would be to investigate the extent of the decay by some means...fractometer, picus perhaps.? before drawing up a management spec?

What are peoples experience with regards this fungus?

IMG_8420.jpg.60019531f6a6b92ae07cc5ac16b8a8d2.jpg

IMG_8419.jpg.1db6bd77a366817d5107b28aa6f13159.jpg

You should of given me a bell sean, I'm literally just round the corner from this tree.

Bills spreading the net, tell im to keep orf the heath :biggrin:

I'm not suprissed the tree is still to be dealt with tbh.

Spoke with the consultant who went to see/spec it last year and he didn't think any works would be happening in the short term.

Haven't dealt with a schweinitzii failure yet (brown rot), so can't really advise.

Have a very old Pine that is host to a basal decay and it's still standing (woodland)

DSC02625.jpg.9d74a13db31cd01b77bbac57ccee6256.jpg

I went along with a view to put a tender in for all the tree works on this site.......they have extensive grounds at the back too. They mentioned that they had a few of the trees 'tested' a whiule ago and i'm wondering if this was one of them. They are looking into it. I'd have though given the proximity to the road and the size of the tree that it would definately need investigating further?