Tree Accident

Dean Lofthouse

I was told today of a tree accident in which a climber fell out of a tree.

First reports say his blakes hitch came undone and he plummeted to ground bouncing off branches as he went.

I was told he is very poorly, his hip was shattered and kidneys damaged.

Apparently he was from the Wakefield area and went under Acasia Tree something.

I have done searches and cannot find anything.

I wanted to hear the correct tale and to see if it was the blakes that failed, because I have always been unsure of the blakes.

Does anyone know anything of this accident.

think aire valley are from horsforth so i doubt it would be them. Acacia does ring a bell but i see a lot of different trucks about.

I was tying my blakes wrong for a short while, as that suislide knot, but when i posted a picture to ask if id got it right, i was quickly picked up on it and encouraged not flamed which was nice. got it down to an art now lol.

technically one of the values of the blakes is the tail should never shorten or migrate if tied properly and so does not NEED a stopper knot, but IMO why would you ever not tie one?

reason i got mine wrong was i thought id got it right, and checked in the tree climbers companion. now the pictures of the blakes on page 53 and 83 i think it is, look different to one another, and where mine looked like one of them, it should have looked like the other.

I can post pictures of how it was as suislide and correctly if anyone thinks it might be of value to either this conversation or to other new guys?

figure 1: suislide

tree009.jpg

as you can see, the tail wasnt passed behind the climbing line.

fig 2: correct... so im told, unless you guys are gonna upset me now lol

DSCF0206.jpg

that tail end once dressed and tightened just doesnt move, but theres an overhand knot stopper in the first one and a fig8 in the 2nd one, but i cant always fit one of them in.

please excuse the long excess on the tied prusik loop, i didnt want to cut the cord until i knew how long i wanted it.

on p53 of the TCC the blakes illustrated shows the 'tail' passing in front of the climbing line, and the top to bottom loop bit running behind the climbing system 'bridge' whereas p83 shows it as per my second photo

Hope these help

Jim

sorry bout that mate, just edited my post as you were posting, the second photo does have a fig8 in as i had thought about it more. the second photo is how i always make sure i tie it now.

the odd thing is, while tied in suislide mode, the knot does actually work. it grips the rope, it descends smoothly etc, but it doesnt dress and set properly and that tail end tries to go back into the knot. NOT GOOD!