Abies ID help please

Will Hinchliffe

I only have a peice of folliage to go on but I need to ID a yong Abies tree. I think its Abies nordmanniana but I want to make sure its not Abies Koreana or another smaller Abies before I write my report.

The needles are 2-3cm long and the foliage dark glossy green.

I have included a scan of the peice of foliage but the colour is not a great representation its a much darker green than it apears in the scan.

Any e-links to ID guides would be great.

Will

Abies.pdf

my fir Id isnt great - but.... when i zoom into the pic it looks like a few of the needles have notched tips with a silver blue sheen - if this is right then i'd go for

abies alba - silver fir

if the sheen is a trick of the light then how about caucasian fir - abies nordmanniana

someone please feel free to shoot me down.

I think its most likely Nordmanniana. The reason I was concerned was because I was writing a brief report stating that the tree was a poor choice for its location and is likely to cause damage to a boundary wall and the house. Its only 1 meter from the house but is less than 10 years old. It would be a bit embarrassing if I said it was going to grow into a massive tree and it turned out to be an Abies species or cultivar that only grew to 10m.