baz

Well I suppose thats good that the general public are starting to see wood as a valuable commodity and as for the amount to invest in startup it really has got to be tailored to your targeted REALISTIC turnover.

I agree, partially.

Couldn't agree more with your capitalisation of REALISTIC. However, forget turnover, show me the profit.

I think that firewood is a very easy business to be a busy fool in. You could work full time, processing and delivering, and probably always have a big handful of cash in your pocket, however, would this actually be enough. If you started on budget, maybe yes, if you threw 40 grand at it, probably not.

Like some peoples thinking on this thread:thumbup1:, I threw one business related term (ROI) into the mix, and as if by magic everyone started talking like business men, and not just woodcutters. I knew there were business men in here somewhere, just had to tease them out of the woodwork with a few abbreviations.:laugh1:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always used to be said, firewood is a hard way to earn a living and I think to be honest that stands true, unless you get the wood for nowt or you get paid for rmmeoving it as part of a job so its perks, then there is'nt much margin in it, I've just got back into it after a couple of years as a way to maintain turnover over winter, after the another wet winter last year meaning I was struggling for work :thumbup1:

It always used to be said, firewood is a hard way to earn a living and I think to be honest that stands true, unless you get the wood for nowt or you get paid for rmmeoving it as part of a job so its perks, then there is'nt much margin in it, I've just got back into it after a couple of years as a way to maintain turnover over winter, after the another wet winter last year meaning I was struggling for work :thumbup1:

Agree with you mate. As so many people are selling wood they have for free, its going to be bloody hard to compete, especially if you have to buy the timber.

Again, over spending on equipment is just going to make matters worse.

Agree with you mate. As so many people are selling wood they have for free, its going to be bloody hard to compete, especially if you have to buy the timber.

Again, over spending on equipment is just going to make matters worse.

No chance of that mate, back to basics chain saw and axe :001_cool:

No chance of that mate, back to basics chain saw and axe :001_cool:

Thats the way to do it I reckon mate.:thumbup1:

Everyone and his dog seems to have bought a firewood processor recently. The problem with that is they aren't going to be worth anything second hand, as there will be so many about. Investing in machinery is usually good practise to reduce your exposure as its only really the depreciation you will lose. However, if the value of the machinery drops rapidly, your exposure rises rapidly too.

Key to selling firewood I reckon is dont spend any money on it, keep it simple, use the kit you have already and get the timber for free.

Be very interesting to see how many firewood processors come up for sale after next winter.

Thats the way to do it I reckon mate.:thumbup1:

Everyone and his dog seems to have bought a firewood processor recently. The problem with that is they aren't going to be worth anything second hand, as there will be so many about. Investing in machinery is usually good practise to reduce your exposure as its only really the depreciation you will lose. However, if the value of the machinery drops rapidly, your exposure rises rapidly too.

Key to selling firewood I reckon is dont spend any money on it, keep it simple, use the kit you have already and get the timber for free.

Be very interesting to see how many firewood processors come up for sale after next winter.

Dead right mate, IMO:thumbup1:

And there was me thinking the key to selling firewood was to supply a good seasoned product to the customers requirements! how silly of me:001_tt2:

And there was me thinking the key to selling firewood was to supply a good seasoned product to the customers requirements! how silly of me:001_tt2:

Maybe I should have said, the key to making a profit is......

None of this negativity is aimed at you by the way mate, I know we seem to be using your spending 40 k as an exampe of what not to do. We are only speculating about the pro's and con's of such an investment.

Personally, I wish you every success with it. :thumbup1:

Maybe I should have said, the key to making a profit is......

None of this negativity is aimed at you by the way mate, I know we seem to be using your spending 40 k as an exampe of what not to do. We are only speculating about the pro's and con's of such an investment.

Personally, I wish you every success with it. :thumbup1:

The 40k i spent was to get me out of working for someone else im not looking for a R.O.I.

All i want to do is work for myself and earn a desent living and spending 40k seemed a small amout to spent to achive my aims

The 40k i spent was to get me out of working for someone else im not looking for a R.O.I.

All i want to do is work for myself and earn a desent living and spending 40k seemed a small amout to spent to achive my aims

Whether you want to make a wage or a return on investment, the figures still need to add up. I would have spent 40 k very differently in your position.

As I said though, I hope it works for you.:thumbup1: