baz

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my first ever post where I was putting feelers out into the firewood world without the desire to get burned. The replies I received were most helpful and made the transition into putting the plan into action. I have located a few local suppliers of wood and hauliers with trailer grabs. Looks like I'll be able to secure bulk soft and hardwood at good pricing to get me on my way.

For processing I originally planned on starting with a tractor mounted hydraulic splitter but decided to go for a processor. I have plumped for a new Japa 700 that will be delivered in a couple of weeks time. Not that I think the Japa is the best machine out there from the research I've done but at 500kg it's the only one my old Ford tractor stands a chance of lifting. I know it struggles with a 500kg spinner load of fertilizer. I'll be storing and splitting logs this year in a barn which has 150m2 concreted area I've set aside for the storage and processing.

The next main purchase will be a tipper trailer for deliveries. I'm looking at the Ifor Williams TT105 which has a massive 6m3 loading capacity with the mesh siding. I then plan to offer logs in 2, 4 or 6m3 deliveries. I wont decide finally on the trailer until ready to start markeing seasoned wood.

One more basic question for those in the know. Is it best to season logs and then process cut to the size required for a specific customer order or process into 2 sizes, say 12 and 6 inch, and store the split wood? I can forsee great advantage in cutting to order as the processor can run straight off into the trailer ready for delivery and be cut to the size requested. The only possible downside is that seasoning logs will presumably take longer that seasoning of split wood. Does anyone have a relative time ratio guide for this?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my first ever post where I was putting feelers out into the firewood world without the desire to get burned. The replies I received were most helpful and made the transition into putting the plan into action. I have located a few local suppliers of wood and hauliers with trailer grabs. Looks like I'll be able to secure bulk soft and hardwood at good pricing to get me on my way.

For processing I originally planned on starting with a tractor mounted hydraulic splitter but decided to go for a processor. I have plumped for a new Japa 700 that will be delivered in a couple of weeks time. Not that I think the Japa is the best machine out there from the research I've done but at 500kg it's the only one my old Ford tractor stands a chance of lifting. I know it struggles with a 500kg spinner load of fertilizer. I'll be storing and splitting logs this year in a barn which has 150m2 concreted area I've set aside for the storage and processing.

The next main purchase will be a tipper trailer for deliveries. I'm looking at the Ifor Williams TT105 which has a massive 6m3 loading capacity with the mesh siding. I then plan to offer logs in 2, 4 or 6m3 deliveries. I wont decide finally on the trailer until ready to start markeing seasoned wood.

One more basic question for those in the know. Is it best to season logs and then process cut to the size required for a specific customer order or process into 2 sizes, say 12 and 6 inch, and store the split wood? I can forsee great advantage in cutting to order as the processor can run straight off into the trailer ready for delivery and be cut to the size requested. The only possible downside is that seasoning logs will presumably take longer that seasoning of split wood. Does anyone have a relative time ratio guide for this?

I'm no expert but no a bit, split logs get air into easier so will season quicker but if you want to give customer satisfaction still season for at least a year with most hard woods and at least 18-24 months with soft (Im sure someone might disagree its just what Ive been told.)

When you get a customer base youll start learning what most customers want in regardence to size etc most will want 9inch so less some more but thats about average. Some customers have monster burners which will take huge stuff we have one that once 3ft cut logs we ended up cleaving most of it.

Im sure there is more experienced people out there this is just my experience.

good luck

Timber in the round will season much more slowly than timber which is split (just compare the ratios of surface area to volume). I would process the majority of your timber into 10" split logs - I think you will find 6" tedious to produce and liable to present badly to the splitter on the Japa. I would keep a smalll percentage back and let it dry as best it can for any customers who want non standard logs.

In order to get hard information on your seasoning get yourself a moisture meter

Also not a bad idea to stockpile logs when you feel like cutting them rather than running the processor into the trailer in penny packets - get yourself a front end loader with grain bucket for the tractor

cheers and good luck

mac

6 cube of logs ? alot of weight there on a 3500kg trailer gross weight ?, overweight big time im guessing

6 cube of logs ? alot of weight there on a 3500kg trailer gross weight ?, overweight big time im guessing

and very few if any customers would want that amount in one go

Excellent point guys, seeing the trailer purchase is a way off I hadn't got around to considering towing weights. Looks like it'll be the lighter and smaller TT85 model or similar with max 4cubes load will be better suited to my truck.

I'll hopefully be able to post some pictures in the summer when me and the gang get to grips with the first few deliveries of logs which I'll look to start moving on in the autumn of 2011.

Hi Sam,

Looks like you are running off into bins. I've tried searching online for bin options for ease of storage and stacking but can find anything by googling. So, I'm presently looking at running the conveyor into a grain trailer and hand staching from that if I can't locate a suitable storage bin option.

Hi Sam,

Looks like you are running off into bins. I've tried searching online for bin options for ease of storage and stacking but can find anything by googling. So, I'm presently looking at running the conveyor into a grain trailer and hand staching from that if I can't locate a suitable storage bin option.

all of my logs go into vented bags & its working well at the moment:001_smile: