Brushcutter blades news!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Below are some pictures of brushcutter blades I use. The 3 tooth mulching blades are excellent - not common (yet) but totally superior to 3 blade brush-knives with a flat profile and the two-bladed shredder blade that Stihl and Oregon do. They cut well and with little effort pulp the material to ground level leaving a clean finish.

Next is the brogio chain-flail head. I have only tried the one pictured (2 x 7 link chains) and don't like it at all. First, the violence with which the machine moves when the head is stalled is unacceptable imo and it is very hard on the clutch. Secondly, the cut material is thrown towards the operator with serious force. I have tried various guards - all have been destroyed! The potential consquences of a chain link coming off are hideous. Following on from a previous thread on here re these heads and a related fatality I have heard (unconfirmed) that these heads are being banned.

The last pictures are of an offering new to the UK (I am told) which I am trialing. As you can see, it has a similar alloy boss / head to the brogio (tho is not made by them) but is fitted with 3 hardened steel swinging blades. These will yield on impact. Interestingly, the blades have a propeller profile which means when at full rpm there is considerable down-draft generated; whether this is to push cut material downwards or reduce operator fatigue I don't know but I will report on my findings and whether I think this device represents good progress.

:001_smile:

24042010520.jpg.0e0a7c5ce3dec1be70740f9d808e65f1.jpg

24042010519.jpg.0f6c847d9d44117e4d27242787773de0.jpg

24042010518.jpg.73d6b4fd206b5bb61a88c98b79ec495f.jpg

24042010517.jpg.bec6892853624ffa03f74a6a248b5842.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems pretty conclusive. I agree with the HSE this time!

Use of chain flail/non standard accessories on brush cutters

Same here we discused this at work during the week, I dont actulaly know the story nor do I want to my imagination is bad enough:sneaky2:

the 3 angled head thingy is fine and does a safer job. When we got ours this week they stocked the head then informed us that we need a new guard.

Ok we replied well have one of them to.

sorry we dont acully stock them but we can order one for next week.

crazy:thumbdown:

Just got 1 of the Oregon 2 blade mulching blades not tried it yet. Got a big walled garden to clear so that should be a good trial. The was a bit in the FJ about the brogio saying that were being pulled off the shelves due to the recent fatality, and no manufacture recommending there use.

The wording on the HSE note re the boragio flails makes me think that metal cutting heads should consist of only one part,

The harmonised standard for specifying the safety requirements for such machinery, EN ISO 11806, excludes from its scope brush cutters equipped with metallic blades having more than one part (such as chain links.)

if they interpret it the same way then that alloy head with the swinging blades will still be outside of the HSE's definition of safe :confused1:

The wording on the HSE note re the boragio flails makes me think that metal cutting heads should consist of only one part,

if they interpret it the same way then that alloy head with the swinging blades will still be outside of the HSE's definition of safe :confused1:

Er, yes! Will go steady with it on small material and see. I plan on taking the head apart out of curiosity about its strength of construction.

By far and away the most effective brushcutter attachment i have seen was an italian st up similar to the brogio, but used old chainsaw chain turned inside out- cutting with the drivelinks- and it was brilliant. A friend has used them for a few years in Italy with no problems. Yet to find a source in the UK tho.