Moving to NZ

Taupotreeman

Hi Guys, just for those of you who don't know (there seems to be various threads on moving here) and are keen on moving to NZ; Arborists are on the skills shortage list. This means that even if you only have a couple of years experience and relevant quals you could still apply to be resident here as long as you can get a job offer. Immigration usually requires a 3 year college cert with continuous education through that 3 years plus about 5 years experience but the work to residence catagory gives you a bit of breathing space on this. You'll just have to work for a company registered with immigration NZ for two years. Don't know if this helps anybody but thought it was worth a mention.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

id be looking for work experience of some kind in NZ, got the tickets i need and by the time ill have a chance to go ill have my rigging aswell so i will be qualified for it.

Are there any companies over there which are taking on? id be looking to take a +1 too.

There's always companies looking for workers. It depends if you want to work for the one of the bigger companies, be just a statistic but have the option to move with that company around the country or just work for the smaller crews. Whichever, you should have no worries finding work.

Hi taupo man.

I'm not sure if there are too many would be emigrants, but a lot of interest in NZ.

I emigrated a few years ago and I know you went in 98, so a couple of details have changed. I'm hopeing to return this year.

You only have to hold down your job for 3 months now, then your'e free to do what you like.

I'm sure between us and atree, tanamahuta, ropey .. we can answer a lot of questions people may have.

My concern for rob as a greenhorn on work experience, would be falling into the hands of the roughneck aerial foresters. These are very scary beasts who inhabit some of the more remote corners of the land of the long white cloud.

I think he may be safer with one of the larger firms. Maybe avoiding wellington as a lot of the work there is big trees, takedowns in tricky situations and its always very windy. Perhaps one of the big firms in Christchurch might be a safer bet.

edit : me and sky huck posted at same time, more interest than I thought

Edited by Albedo

:001_huh: I thought I had missed the boat being 40!, but no there is still hope :thumbup1:

I was 46 when I went to NZ for my first visit, I emigrated but had to come back for a bit, so now I'm a ping pong pom. I've been back on a visa run last year to keep my residency alive, and now do 2 tax returns. One for UK, then NZ has a wee bite.

I'm quite up to speed on tree surgeon emigration, as I did the whole process meself, as opposed to using an emigration consultant. So fire away folks.

Although I emmigrated in 98 I didn't actually get my residency until about five years ago because immigration wouldn't look any further than their tick box acceptance forms in front of them. I think it's OK if you have the all the qualifications and experience they require for a straight forward application but this was more for people like me who maybe only had a national cert or similar qual but a heap of experience that wouldn't qualify under the normal residency requirements. Just an option.

I agree with your other sentiment. There are a heap of backyard butchers out here but if you get in with one of the bigger firms (although you do just become a number) you have the chance to pick and choose a little on what you do according to your skills and experience. There's already one local who's an "arborist" but refuses to climb trees. Go figure!

Yep I'm a relatively straightforward case, emigration wise so our different experiences can only add to the pot.

Isn't it getting a wee bit late to be arbtalking into the wee hours Mr Taupotm:001_smile:

edit or is it very early, my maths isn't good