cow manure storage

kevwrenn

Responsible storage is necessary to protect the local environment from the harmful affects that ‘run off’ from manure can have if it is allowed to enter watercourses. Organisms feeding on the effluent will result in an oxygen reducing effect within the water. In addition, eutrophication (the nutrient enrichment of water) encourages the growth of aquatic vegetation, which further reduces the oxygen by respiration, reducing the water’s quality. This has a detrimental impact on wildlife dependent on watercourses. The increased vegetation growth may also impede the flow of water.

Run off may also detrimentally affect hedgerows. The nutrient enrichment will disadvantage the hedge – possibly to the extent of killing it - and encourage the growth of weeds.

Importantly, the location of the heap should be such that it does not cause a nuisance to neighbours or people using public rights of way.

It's kind of a grey area but hopefully it helps somewhat:thumbup1:

Edited by Grizzly

that helps thank you... this pile has been dumped around 50 yards from my house. the smell prevents us from hanging washing out to dry as it permeates the baby clothes... we cannot have the windows or doors open despite the fantastic weather we are having... and after speaking to one of the farm workers, it seems there may be another 200 tonnes to come along, with no plans to do anything with it. Who is best to contact?? environmental health, defra or env agency??

Not sure about England, but in Northern Ireland that would come under the "Nitrates directive" which controls this type of storage. It's monitored by The Environment Agency and it could affect the land owners "Single Farm Payment" which is their agricultural grant.

I'd have a word with the culprit first, see if he's approachable. If not have a chat with the various agencies.

that helps thank you... this pile has been dumped around 50 yards from my house. the smell prevents us from hanging washing out to dry as it permeates the baby clothes... we cannot have the windows or doors open despite the fantastic weather we are having... and after speaking to one of the farm workers, it seems there may be another 200 tonnes to come along, with no plans to do anything with it. Who is best to contact?? environmental health, defra or env agency??

50yards? thats miles away lol

Ive grown up around it so dosnt bother me i guess.

Who is best to contact?? environmental health, defra or env agency??

Personally I'd speak to the land owner first and if you can't reach an amicable result then your next conversation should be with DEFRA. There are permits and licences required for some storage situations. They'd be best to advise you.

I know what you mean about the smell though. I lived on a pig farm for a year and that smelt kind of funky through the summer months:001_rolleyes:

Forget talking to the farm workers.

Catch up with the farm owner or manager.

Odds are they are in the process of dumping up a large batch, prior to getting a muck spreading contractor in to spread the lot in 1 go, and they just be they dumped it there for their own efficency / convenience.

Now its there i doubt they will move it till it is spread.

Discus it with the main man and explain you problems. Hopefully another time they will take more care over the location of the poop.

AAAAAAAAH, country life!

Oh for gods sake, Do you live in the country? If you do you should understand that being able to smell manure is one of the perks of living in the countryside.

I will have probably been put on maize ground and will be spread within the next week as it is getting towards time to drill maize.

Put a clothes peg over your nose and stop moaning like a baby!!!!

Edited by defenderdrakeford

Oh for gods sake, Do you live in the country? If you do you should understand that being able to smell manure is one of the perks of living in the countryside.

I will have probably been put on maize ground and will be spread within the next week as it is getting towards time to drill maize.

Put a clothes peg over your nose and stop maoning like a baby!!!!

:lol::thumbup::lol: