New lowering rope advice

jpbeaver

I have lowered with 12mm using the GRCS...shouldnt be a problem once you getto grips with techniques and process....do not shock load.....do not wind up beyond sensible limits....learn your green log weight values... otherwise use bullrope @ 16mm....sorry to hear you couldnt afford the extra to upgrade to GRCS..infinitely superior tool IMO...>>>

I have lowered with 12mm using the GRCS...shouldnt be a problem once you getto grips with techniques and process....do not shock load.....do not wind up beyond sensible limits....learn your green log weight values... otherwise use bullrope @ 16mm....sorry to hear you couldnt afford the extra to upgrade to GRCS..infinitely superior tool IMO...>>>

im freelance climbing more and more nowadays and wanted something simple enough for the numpties i climb for to use without me having to come down and slap people for getting things wrong. :wave:

i've got 14mm marlow at the moment and don't mind it, just wondered if there is anything much better.

...sorry to hear you couldnt afford the extra to upgrade to GRCS.....>>>

Sorry to be jus another numpti mate....prhapsd you nedd to work on yopur patience quota...?

maybe you need to work on your charm school quota..

I would suggest something a bit bigger for the hobbs, once you start to explore its potential you wont want to be restricted by a 14mm rope!

I have used the new england, i think its 18 or 20 mm, that is quite a nice rope, holds a knot well and is strong enough to handle big chunks of timber. I rigged out some sections of beech about 24" diameter and 6' length and it seemed to handle it ok. I find it easier to let it run on the hobbs that with a porty, especially with an inexperienced groundie. In fact, I use just a quarter wrap and thick leather gloves a lot of the time!

The Yale double esterlon is marginally stronger than the NE, but it is stiffer and doesnt handle so well for me, and it is quite pricey.

Personally, i think either the NE or the Yale are better than the marlow, but if you want a cheap fat rope that you can use and abuse and then bin without worrying about how much you spent on it, then the marlow is just fine!

Personally, i think either the NE or the Yale are better than the marlow, but if you want a cheap fat rope that you can use and abuse and then bin without worrying about how much you spent on it, then the marlow is just fine!

Sounds like good experienced advice there Peter, shall follow up your suggestions when our Marlow is a spent force.

:cheers:

I would suggest something a bit bigger for the hobbs, once you start to explore its potential you wont want to be restricted by a 14mm rope!

I have used the new england, i think its 18 or 20 mm, that is quite a nice rope, holds a knot well and is strong enough to handle big chunks of timber. I rigged out some sections of beech about 24" diameter and 6' length and it seemed to handle it ok. I find it easier to let it run on the hobbs that with a porty, especially with an inexperienced groundie. In fact, I use just a quarter wrap and thick leather gloves a lot of the time!

The Yale double esterlon is marginally stronger than the NE, but it is stiffer and doesnt handle so well for me, and it is quite pricey.

totally agree we have just changed for new england from double esterlon and does handle very nicely but cheap lowering rope does not make sense to me you are lowering for a reason and you or lads are underneath it too many peple imo overload there lowering ropes for me get a rope that after safety factor will be still under what you need and think about what you are potentially going to damage if anything fails