River Erosion

liamjordan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will add this as my last picture, this is the farmers worst nightmare and a site im working on currently, the river has created a secondary channel that is now the main channel, and has formed a huge scour pool and is eating into his field at an accelerating rate, from the farmers point of view its awefull, from a river geomorphology point of view its great, as the river is acting naturally and moving around in the floodplain, its also adding vital new gravels to the river, this is also slowing the flow of the river and as a result will be helping to mitigate flood effects downstream, but will have to have some remedial works on it to prevent the landowner driving concrete railway sleepers into the bank as protection

What are your plans there? I know nothing of the subject but was wondering if the main flow could be diverted back to the original channel by placing stumps/trunks at the divergence to largely block the secondary - now primary - channel. Just a thought from someone waiting to be shot down!

What are your plans there? I know nothing of the subject but was wondering if the main flow could be diverted back to the original channel by placing stumps/trunks at the divergence to largely block the secondary - now primary - channel. Just a thought from someone waiting to be shot down!

pretty close there, will post some pics over the next few weeks when work starts, using large lumps of timber to basically do what you describe, along with some brash bundles and block stone, to protect the toe of the bank

Nice works, always good to see other peoples river projects, heres a few of mine putting trees in the river and root buttresses as well as upstream log deflectors to increase scour and sinuosity. Not done a lot with willow due to maintenance issues but always good to see techniques like this and the tree kickers that don't often get a chance to try.

Very nice

Is much of your work with the WTT using terms like tree kickers?

pretty close there, will post some pics over the next few weeks when work starts, using large lumps of timber to basically do what you describe, along with some brash bundles and block stone, to protect the toe of the bank

Cheers. Look forward to the pics.

Jon

The general as I like to call him:lol: do you work with himmuch then mate? He's a fantastic bloke isnt he, I've done a lot of work for him and have so much respect for him he taught me a lot. I'm sure I can see Evo in there too

They are a great bunch, always a laugh when they are on site, they werent my jobs they were on of my colleagues in Staffordshire wildlife trusts projects. They seem a very knowledgeable bunch, nothing seems to phase them,