How/why did you get into treework?

Andy Collins

Was in the army for about 7 years, came out and tried a few jobs, Got a job in a garden centre and did my RHS, then went on to do the ND soft landscape and design It was their that i saw aload of bods climbing trees and using chainsaws and i thought yeah ill have some of that and have been doing it ever since :D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Failed AS levels, did Countryside Management NC, got chainsaw license, got job, left job, got climbing tickets, got another job, left job, got a better job, and then the other climbers quit to travel the world leaving little me in charge. Nutters

Made redundant at 30 from a job of five years which I hated from day one - just so unnatural..:mad:

Decided to go travelling but fell in love - stayed ...:D found nothing that really got me excited or enthused work wise until i got to thinking about woodlands and chainsaws and tree work - and then everything just seemed to add up!

Took a long time to get here but I hope to stay

how long you been doing treework for now then raaf?

Just over two years only now...been at college for a year - then grounding/some small silky work/ straight fells/stump grinding/watering/planting/ lifting and suckering for just over a year.

Now starting on bigger reductions/thins and fells, this is where the climbing is starting to get addictive and more fun!! I look forward to doing more but there is a lot to take in and think about so I know it will take a while to get really confident.

Live in north london but working in west london if anyone is from those parts?

Been addicted to woods and trees since forever and always loved machinery - wish things had clicked earlier but its all good at the moment :)

left school, crap jobs, travel, crap jobs, travel, more travel, doss around, no direction, no clue, Arboriculture, climbing, sounds OK, year of training for work, 10 quid a week on top of your dole, with a excellent hippie/trainer/old school, general great bloke, Year of college, qualified, out in the big world, still doing it although I told myself that I would stop at thirty.Ha, ha.

I was offered a place at Uni studying Art which I was naturally good at but I binned that idea as I thought the whole thing stunk of pretense and la-de-da.

Forestry seemed like a healthy, challenging outdoor job and after a lengthy stint in a fireworks packing shed I was prepared to work for nothing to get started.

I'm still hungry for tree work nearly 15 years down the road.

I would'nt want to do anything else and intend to climb til I die!

We started grinding stumps back in '98 (I was 12), in 2003 (late 16, early 17 years old) I decided I wanted to start doing tree work to make more money. My father was dead set against it, but alas I had 4 jobs to do.

Now I'm back in school with the intent of becoming a lawyer..... kids these days!

For the record, I'm still doing tree work, it pays the bills!