Contracting in a climber.

bareroots

i have to agree with sawdust. if im climbing for someone the work gets done my way. i decide how the work is to be carried out and organise the ground crew accordingly. i think the main company would have to claim on there insurance, but i think they'd then try and claim against yours as far as im aware, but im just a climber.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had actually quoted "if the wotsits hits the fan go home" of rupe.

yes the insurance will cover it but that is no excuse for doing a shoddy job, accidents do happen but accidents due to neglagence are in excusable in my opinion.

If the wotsit hits the fan, go home! Not your problem.

Thats not a very responsable attitude in my opinion. if you are doing a job as a subbie or on your own it should be done right and if you mess up then take responsabilty for it, there are to many people about passing the buck, thats why this country is in the state its in.

I do agree with you. My statement was more from a legal point of veiw. Its not your problem. Of course a responsable climber would stay and sort things out, but they don't need to. Its not about passing the buck, in fact if the company want to claim from the climbers insurance then that is passing the buck.

The climber is only carrying out the work as required by the company, thay can pretend they take charge as much as they like, but ultimalty they are working to the risk assessment carrried out by the principal contractor.

Edited by Rupe

i have to agree with sawdust. if im climbing for someone the work gets done my way. i decide how the work is to be carried out and organise the ground crew accordingly. i think the main company would have to claim on there insurance, but i think they'd then try and claim against yours as far as im aware, but im just a climber.

Sure you do it your way, but the main comapnay chose to hire you in, so they take responsibility. If the ground crew shout all clear and then you cut a branch that hits a car cos they didn't stop you or the car, then its not your fault. They can't claim against your insurance unless you employ the ground crew, in which case you would have your own riskj assessment for the day that your guys would sign.

If you sign the companies RA then its on there insurance. If their guys sign your risk assesssment then maybe its more on yours but the main company should still hold a risk assessment that covers the job including choosing you as the climber.

Rupe, your right about RA. Just because your contracted in doesnt mean you cannot agree a method for completing the job. Avoiding mishaps as much as possible.

Good working realtionships, knowing the teams strengths and weaknessess. But firm communication about whats going on is the key to a successful contracting day.