Cubic metre of wood - how the French describe it

wood4life

I have noticed some postings on here regarding using cubic metre as a measure of wood for firewood.

The French have a word, stère, which is a cubic metre of cut wood, i.e. with air gaps in between the pieces, whereas a cubic metre of wood is solid wood, with no gaps.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion on forums for Brits living in France about firewood, with the common complaint that the cubic metre that they saw unloaded off a truck looks smaller when its neatly stacked.

Some folks call it a corde, which I don't think is a real French word for a quantity of wood, but I might be wrong as my command of the French language is tenuous to say the least.

Others call it a cord and I think most realise it is a neat stack of wood 1 x 1 x3 metres.

But it isn't three cubic metres as far as the French are concerned, as that would be one solid block of wood 1 x 1 x 3 metres, but 3 stères of wood.

And most of them use this confusion to moan about the price of firewood, as if it grows on trees - sorry just had to do that !

Steres are a metric measurement of the volume of stacked firewood but as 1 stere = 1m³ you are much more likely to hear the term cubic meter (or Cube) used. 1 stere = 1 m³ = 0.276 cords.

Source: Buying Firewood: A consumers guide to buying logs and firewood

At least they are discussing it in real measurements rather than the 'ton bag' confusion that plagues the UK industry!

• 4 years later...
I have noticed some postings on here regarding using cubic metre as a measure of wood for firewood.

The French have a word, stère, which is a cubic metre of cut wood, i.e. with air gaps in between the pieces, whereas a cubic metre of wood is solid wood, with no gaps.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion on forums for Brits living in France about firewood, with the common complaint that the cubic metre that they saw unloaded off a truck looks smaller when its neatly stacked.

Some folks call it a corde, which I don't think is a real French word for a quantity of wood, but I might be wrong as my command of the French language is tenuous to say the least.

Others call it a cord and I think most realise it is a neat stack of wood 1 x 1 x3 metres.

But it isn't three cubic metres as far as the French are concerned, as that would be one solid block of wood 1 x 1 x 3 metres, but 3 stères of wood.

And most of them use this confusion to moan about the price of firewood, as if it grows on trees - sorry just had to do that !

lol...The usual 'Brit Abroad' complaining I suspect with a "It's not like that in the UK you know"....without researching...:biggrin:

For info read here as to how the French call it.......

Corde, stère, m3: quelle unité de vente pour le bois de chauffage? | Se chauffer au bois | S'informer sur le bois en Bretagne

:biggrin:

Steres are a metric measurement of the volume of stacked firewood but as 1 stere = 1m³ you are much more likely to hear the term cubic meter (or Cube) used. 1 stere = 1 m³ = 0.276 cords.

Source: Buying Firewood: A consumers guide to buying logs and firewood

At least they are discussing it in real measurements rather than the 'ton bag' confusion that plagues the UK industry!

oh here we go again....

no, no , no

do your reasearch, BOIS DE CHAUFFAGE.

Lemarchedubois.com - Acheter bois de chauffage - Achat bois de chauffage- Lemarchedubois.com

prices are per stere, and most selling in bulk bags.

and similar prices to here for quality. and rest of europe. baltic states setting base price.

Well, when I buy a stère off one neighbour it is generally 1 m lengths when stacked would measure 1m wide and 1 m high. Because of the nature of my area there are not many large diameter trees so usually anything up to 8" diameter. Another neighbour delivers his "stère" as split wood 500 mm long. Not cheap as the buggers usually demolish my bottle of Jameson................now that's why they deliver at the end of the day................