customers!!!

Ian C

Fair does, just read that and you're right.

njc110381 I'm always wary of making comments when I'm not in possession of the full facts. Your posts do however seem to contradict each other, one minute I can do the job properly to the customer, the next you're being told by professionals that you're not.

I started off cutting grass. At the time I subbed all tree work that I wasn't qualified and insured to do. I then got qualified and started doing ground level stuff myself. I then got the aerial rescue ticket and employed a climber. I then did climbing tickets and now climb myself employing whatever staff I need to do a job.

Have a look at all the best practice guides and make your own decision.

I'm sure a lot of people, myself included don't mind a pm if you have any questions about the 'right' way to do it.

R

No worries mate. I wasn't trying to turn this tread into a njc110381 good or bad debate. Haven't got a problem with the bloke personally it just seemed that what he was saying was a bit rich given other stuff he has posted. Nothing more nothing less. Like you I started landscaping then taking on bigger tree jobs as I got qualified and experienced. As i've said I've got no problem with gardeners or landscapers I just dont think not knowing what quals you are supposed to have is a good excuse for not having them. I found out easily enough (before Arbtalk) and so did you and many others.

I have already given my advice to njc110381 in another thread and would happily give any advice he wanted.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah hadn't seen that.

Like I say apologies for any offence caused.

Going back onto the thread.

A quick newsletter out to customers is a great way to boost the order book, for very little outlay.

They have already bought from you at least once, so providing you have done a good job they will be keen to have you back. They may have just lost your number!!!

Does everyone know you do stumpgrinding? Hedges? Any other services you offer? Do they know what qualifications you have? How they pick a professional to do the job etc? Tell them, then tell them why you are what they need!

Don't compete on price if you can help it. It doesn't do anyone any good. Harrods aren't dropping their prices because lidl's opened up down the road!

Ah hadn't seen that.

Like I say apologies for any offence caused.

Going back onto the thread.

A quick newsletter out to customers is a great way to boost the order book, for very little outlay.

They have already bought from you at least once, so providing you have done a good job they will be keen to have you back. They may have just lost your number!!!

Does everyone know you do stumpgrinding? Hedges? Any other services you offer? Do they know what qualifications you have? How they pick a professional to do the job etc? Tell them, then tell them why you are what they need!

Don't compete on price if you can help it. It doesn't do anyone any good. Harrods aren't dropping their prices because lidl's opened up down the road!

No problem mate. Your 'back on thread' points are all good ones.

Do you still do gardening/ landscaping or have you moved away from that to concentrate on tree work now? Think reminding customers of who you are and what you do is even more effective when you essentially cover more than one industry.:thumbup1:

I fully agree and a big hedge i quoted on last saturday where i was £300 MORE EXPENSIVE because i wanted a lift for a day and £100 more for the day has come in:thumbup1: now prayin i get it all done in a day!!!

It is hard though when work is light not to bring your price doen just to get the job.

in my experience, a few "please and thankyous" go a long way, phone manner is important as it is usually the first point of contact with a customer- first impressions n all that...

simple things like being on time to give your quote, following up with a letter, a bit of chat and helpful attitude can make all the difference.

infact i dont recall many customers even asking about my qualifications so maybe just being nice is the most important thing! :thumbup:

No problem mate. Your 'back on thread' points are all good ones.

Do you still do gardening/ landscaping or have you moved away from that to concentrate on tree work now? Think reminding customers of who you are and what you do is even more effective when you essentially cover more than one industry.:thumbup1:

Yes we still do a bit of grass cutting, lots of fencing and decking work about at the moment too.

I started getting requests from customers about tree work and looked into it as another service we could offer. It's growing from that really, and I have to say it's what I'm most enjoying right now. Although currently the smallest part of my business, it's good work.

We had a customer who we've cut grass for for quite a while now, who I know really well. They didn't know we did fencing until I sent the newsletter out, they've just booked a £1000 fencing job in for their shop back yard.

You have to tell people what you do, I always assume my customers know what I do already.

I fully agree and a big hedge i quoted on last saturday where i was £300 MORE EXPENSIVE because i wanted a lift for a day and £100 more for the day has come in:thumbup1: now prayin i get it all done in a day!!!

It is hard though when work is light not to bring your price doen just to get the job.

Great news! :thumbup:

It is hard and everyone does it sometimes rather than sit at home for the day. But the truth is, I think, sometimes you would be better off sitting at home and chasing after a couple of customers who will pay you what you are worth.

Ben