Chestnut and coppice in general...

Bluedog

Hi everyone, this is pretty much my first post, been here a while just lurking and I thought I would actually join in.

I am based in Dartmoor, am a fencing contractor and am wondering if you guys can help me out. I have always used chestnut products, try and stay away from softwood for numerous reasons but since moving here a couple of years ago have found it almost impossible to find a decent chestnut supplier. We are toying with the idea of maybe finding some old chestnut coppice and restoring it but have not a clue where to start looking... where I moved from in Norfolk we found loads of coppice through the land agents and estates but its proving very hard to find any down here. Any ideas please?

I'm in Mid Devon and have the same problem.

Nightmare eh?

We are contemplating bringing containers of it from Sussex but I am really worried the transport costs will be too much. If we can find some land quite cheap thats an option but its not easy for sure.

Nice gate by the way

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your right there isn't much sweet chestnut here in Devon. it prefers to grow in Sussex, & Kent where it's a lot drier!

I did try planting some once but it got hammered by the squirrels anyway.

2-3 posts are fine, I prefer 3-4's but you have to take what you get sometimes and anything other than 6ft isn't worth using.

I would be happy to talk to you if its at all interesting to you.

Brushcutter, thanks for the link.

Edited by Bluedog

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your right there isn't much sweet chestnut here in Devon. it prefers to grow in Sussex, & Kent where it's a lot drier!

I did try planting some once but it got hammered by the squirrels anyway.

Cheers for the welcome Porky, yeah I know that chestnut do it a bit tough down here but if beech can thrive like it does I am sure the chestnut will do OK.... the squirrels on the other hand I'm not sure what to do about.

2-3 posts are fine, I prefer 3-4's but you have to take what you get sometimes and anything other than 6ft isn't worth using.

I would be happy to talk to you if its at all interesting to you.

dont quite follow you:confused1:

i gots, 2-3foot dia trees 70foot tall... but i'm guessing what you are after is small diameter stuff, halfed/quartered and in say 6foot lengths? fence sized stuff i reckon:biggrin:

dont quite follow you:confused1:

i gots, 2-3foot dia trees 70foot tall... but i'm guessing what you are after is small diameter stuff, halfed/quartered and in say 6foot lengths? fence sized stuff i reckon:biggrin:

Is the grain pretty straight? Where you to?