Working on the highway.

Jon Lad

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was a 2t copper beech stem, really nice lump, i didnt want to turn it into firewood so left it while wondering what to do with it, eventually landowner wanted it shifting so it got turned into firewood anyway.:thumbdown: couldnt resist a piccy to haunt you with haha

i could of taken it away for you

problemo solved:thumbup:

I have only ever won one job where I have priced in traffic management and lost loads.

The customer isn't interested in you doing things by the book, they just want the cheapest quote

Its a calculated risk we all take when we do roadside work, to use TM or not. Your right about the customer, but then they're not the one who wouldn't be trading any more if there was a serious accident as a result of not using it.

Don't forget guys to set out signs on the highway you must have completed the 'singing, lighting and guarding' course. If you haven't and some plank drives into you, your kit thats the first thing they ask for (insurance). I know this as we had and old boy drive into the front of a lorry where i last worked at.

IMO tho hi-viz, cones and tree cutting signs normally are sufficient oh and common sense.

The course didn't cost too much it was about £160 at the highways training centre near me.

Didn't like the chapter 8 course myself as it didn't seem to cater for a typical truck and chipper setup, rather more for a 'static' road excavation. The only bit that was useful was the order of the signs, the distances and setting up traffic lights.

how come you didnt feel that it catered for a truck and chipper ??

How many of you guys when using TM actually put a sand bag on each and every sign along with the correct size cone ?? the only reason i ask is because in recent weeks i have heard of several companies being fined serious ammounts of money for not doing either on sites and also being done for folding the signs down and leaving them on the verge over night with a cone on top ready to set them back out the next day

evening tommer , got an invoice from AplantLux today for the hire of some traffic lights , they want 200 quid for hiring a set for one day and we do all the seting up but it only costs me 140 for a week from them , looks like im buying my own set now and seting up a TM team as well so if ever you need lights or a closeure give me a shout mate or infact anyone in cornwall can !!