muddy fail...

armchairarborist

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to let them down a fair bit when off road, this will increase the size of their "foot print", but more importantly they will flex as they rotate causing the mud to fall out of the tread.

You will be amassed what a difference it will make.

Buy a 12V compressor to re-inflate the tyre once back on the road.

Cheers Huck.

Will try that next time. Been running on about 50psi on the back.....

Al

with mud like that on a slope forget road tyres and ats you need a good mud terrain like the bfg. If you can hang on 3 weeks you may get through and save up for next winter. BfG are expensive but wear well and dont fall apart

agreed,

I also wouldnt dream of running insas or retreads of any kind, especially on a commercial vehicle carrying a lot of weight or towing. IMO you dont penny pinch with your only points of contact with the road. too many stories of cheap retread simex copies and the like shedding tread blocks on a whim. Not to mention no end of them are insufficiently load or speed rated.

cant say im especially impressed with the BFG mud terrains, the classic ones anyhoo. I found them mediocre in the mud, but not far short of dangerous on the road in wet conditions.

I currently run cooper discoverer STT in 10 ply construction. fantastic performance in the mud, sidewall tread is a real bonus in ruts, the heavy duty construction lets me air them down without them collapsing, the tread blocks are siped so they grip really well on the road even in the wet, and theyve never let me down. fairly hard compound means theyve been on the truck for over 3 years now and showing little sign of wear.

discoverer_stt.jpg

a lot does come down to driver skill however, and those with little to no experience could do a lot worse than a days offroad training

I run Baja claws or did do Isnt much left of them haha they lasted all of maybe 5month absolute crud if do alot of miles.Also watch load rating as they are competition tires...not sure load rating applies On them.As trophy trucks and pre runners don't carry loads.

Absolutly never ever got stuck with them tho,just digs finds grip and rips thru the muddy stuff