muddy fail...

armchairarborist

with the clay soil in Oxfordshire even mud tyres fill up, I can just get a round with my L200 with 31x10.5 - 15 M/T's but for hard greasy mud I carry a set of snow chains ( Brindley Chains about £120 4x4 , £300 for high grade). Trick is to put them on before you go into deep mud and keep an old nylon coat and a pair of thin work gloves with them - for taking them off. I first used snow chains on my 4x2 ranger and I could get most places a 4x4 could, used to call it a 'poor mans 4x4' because of getting muddy. Over the last 10 yrs I have used snow chains more in mud than snow:thumbup1:

Got the idea from watching WW2 B/W flim of trucks in deep mud with chains on, although they are used in the industry the 4x4 type are good enough for most conditions. Althought the 'landy diehards' won't accept you 'may' need them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soz for the derail. Would 255s fit on 235 rims? We currently have 235/85r16 on our 110 and just wondered when the tyres wear out would 255s fit on the same rims.

Probably, to be certain you would need to find the rim width rather than the width of the current tyres, but I am pretty sure on a 110 on (presumably) standard steel wheels you would be OK with 255s. You may find that there is a better choice of 265s, though, 265/75 x 16 is a popular size and is the largest "standard fit" tyre on a defender.

I run 285/75 on mine on standard alloys, but this is pushing the envelope a bit and you need 30mm spacers if you want to keep the steering lock. With 30mm spacers the 285/75s are just in the arches still.

Probably, to be certain you would need to find the rim width rather than the width of the current tyres, but I am pretty sure on a 110 on (presumably) standard steel wheels you would be OK with 255s. You may find that there is a better choice of 265s, though, 265/75 x 16 is a popular size and is the largest "standard fit" tyre on a defender.

I run 285/75 on mine on standard alloys, but this is pushing the envelope a bit and you need 30mm spacers if you want to keep the steering lock. With 30mm spacers the 285/75s are just in the arches still.

Do you find the 30mm spacers affect the steering?