Coppicing (Bone question content!)

I have a client with a mixed woodland of about 3 ha. The client has traditionally taken out 7 tonnes per annum through poaching timber here or there. He now wants some management and I have suggested 're-coppicing' in line with the grant scheme with the goal of removing sycamore and beech, marking final quality oak and ash trees and working around them, effectively a coppice with standards.

The question I have is given the mixed species composition Oak/Ash/Sycamore/Beech/Hazel/ etc and the wide age classes represented in the stand what would be a reasonable firewood rotation length? My guess is 7 years + but open to bidders! Coppiced firewood will also be a mixture of species

Cheers

PM

Just finishing up re coppicing a woodland that is going to be for firewood. It had a fancy management plan done by a company. They suggested a 21 year rotation. Thing with that is unless the owner is committed it's not going to get managed. I'd go for something like 15 years, it won't be the biggest loads of firewood but at least the owner is seeing a few more returns. Just my 2p worth.

Cheers SMG

I've just dusted down my old copy of FC Bulletin 62 'Silviculture of Broadleaved Woodlands' and it quotes 6 - 10 years to get material to 6-8m tall and 7-10cm diameter. Seems a bit hopeful TBH :confused1:

Just as an aside I'm starting a new job in your part of the world soon! :thumbup:

Whats the desired outcome for re-coppice? Is he wanting to be self suffient in firewood or does he want to sell? But even a 15 year rotation won't produce alot of firewood unless he's prepared to do some thinnings. Ive been working in a 2nd rotation coppice thats been left to go and there all whips 3-4" diameter 20' tall. Instant fire wood if you like but not great amounts.

Thanks Brushcutter and 3dogs, the client has traditionally taken out 7 tonnes per annum (firewood personal use) since 1992 across the site, I'm simply trying to formalise this methodology into something coherent for the FC. The management seems a bit ad hoc, but looking at the site they don't appear to have damaged the long term sustainability.

theres a market for the hazel at all ages from 2yrs onwards,,you just need to understand the markets,,,,smaller rods,,to basket makers,,,,3yr rods for plant supports,,,5 yr old hedging stakes etc,,,,straight rods,,,,evergrowing allotment market,,,,so on,so on,,,,can be just as profitable as firewood,,,

Thanks Brushcutter and 3dogs, the client has traditionally taken out 7 tonnes per annum (firewood personal use) since 1992 across the site, I'm simply trying to formalise this methodology into something coherent for the FC. The management seems a bit ad hoc, but looking at the site they don't appear to have damaged the long term sustainability.

I would look at 10 year rotation with annual thinnigs to maintain only a few speiceis Ash oak silverbirch. Annual thinnings to open coppice growth and to remove sycamores. Is the woodland already in rotation plots or is that part of your plan?

He now wants some management and I have suggested 're-coppicing' in line with the grant scheme with the goal of removing beech,

PM

Shhhhh!!! Don't tell Hamadryad!:laugh1:

Depends on your soil type, aspect, etc..., but personally I wouldn't be looking

at anything less than 20yrs for worthwhile firewood production, possibly longer. On the wet, acidic Oak woods down here, you're looking at 30-40 years.

Shhhhh!!! Don't tell Hamadryad!:laugh1:

Depends on your soil type, aspect, etc..., but personally I wouldn't be looking

at anything less than 20yrs for worthwhile firewood production, possibly longer. On the wet, acidic Oak woods down here, you're looking at 30-40 years.

Therse only 3 ha of woodland he's gonna have some cold winters:001_tt2: