Kretzschmaria deusta and Ooze

Bart

Just a little update

Looked at this beech again yesterday, and was surprised at the amount the cracks/reaction growth on the compression side had grown, possibly a result of the increasing spread of Kretzschmaria around the buttresses and trunk. Can also confirm the presence of Meripilus.

First pic 15/3/10

Others 18/8/10

597657b9e2c4e_rgb4.jpg.baaf239384a270b288d4f2ead1ddc368.jpg

597657b9e1211_rgb3.jpg.73e9a5f34bcee48f2a316e802341735c.jpg

597657b9de9d6_rgb2.jpg.79190bcf30583934be07d341435dec4e.jpg

597657b9dbfda_rgb1.jpg.c95597d88420b7f4bfdcac2cc802acc2.jpg

The rapid growth on those roots is a GOOD thing, this tree has a lot of fight in it yet, no assurances but i would be posative rather than negative regarding this tree thus far.

Looking back over the images the first block of photos under the video, second down on the left.

These are very much like ones that I have been recording in whip, and this winter just gone I saw The olive oysterling fruiting via these same oozey "bleeds" fruit body residues.

i would be really grateful if your observations also show up the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

We're gonna be felling a pair of 100 year old beech trees this winter (or our contractors are). They both have 4 fungi on each which is kind of strange as the fungi are growing in the same place on the trees. The fungi in question are Honey fungus, Kreztschmaria deusta, Ganoderma and Giant Polypore. I shall hopefully get a pic of the stumps after they have been felled. We had them sonar checked a couple of weeks back and if we are lucky there is about 3 inches of good wood holding one tree and 6 inches on the second tree. So our contractors are getting a "spider like" cherry picker to drop em as they are next to a busy road. We knew they had Kretzschmaria but not the other 3.