Price per tonne of cord?

Adam

hey all , i know this has probably come up but i was wondering what profit you would get back per tonne of hardwood as logs?

just looking into getting an artic load for next year.

also what is a cube roughly in weight, just so i can get my head around it.

many thanks

adam:001_smile:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but on average how many m3 do you get to the tonne? i dont really get the tonne to m3 exchange. never had it explained to me.

one very important fact to remember when you are buying in cordwood is that you will be getting green cordwood i.e much heavier than seasoned. When my hilux is loaded (1.2 cubic metre) with seasoned logs i doubt there is more than half a tonne, if they were green it would be more like three quarters of a tonne. Google "cord" for the dimensions

Adam

It totally depends on the type of wood (species) and its moisture content.

Cubic measurement is a volume, not weight measurement. If you are selling by the cubic metre, then your not selling by the tonne. Thats the honest way forward.

If you are buying your wood by the cord, then you are also buying a volume of wood, not a weight.

I have full 8 wheeler loads of green roundwood delivered in which is described as 10 tonnes & I accept that, but have no way of knowing if it is correct.

After processing, I reckon to get about 21 m3 of usable logs, loose stacked, plus a pile of sawdust, nasty knotty bits & other rubbish.

If you look back through earlier threads, you will see others talk of figures ranging from 2.00m3 to 2.7m3 split logs from each tonne of green roundwood.

I reckon on a gross profit of £1150 per 10 tonne of wood delivered in. If I factored in the cost of fuels, oils, storage & my time etc, I dread to think how low the net profit would look!

I have full 8 wheeler loads of green roundwood delivered in which is described as 10 tonnes & I accept that, but have no way of knowing if it is correct.

After processing, I reckon to get about 21 m3 of usable logs, loose stacked, plus a pile of sawdust, nasty knotty bits & other rubbish.

If you look back through earlier threads, you will see others talk of figures ranging from 2.00m3 to 2.7m3 split logs from each tonne of green roundwood.

I reckon on a gross profit of £1150 per 10 tonne of wood delivered in. If I factored in the cost of fuels, oils, storage & my time etc, I dread to think how low the net profit would look!

You can check it simply by measuring the space on the wagon. to get 18 tonnes of beach on a wagon you need 8ft high 8ft wide 24ft long.

on this I look at turn over of £2400 half of which is left after fuel and expences. So after paying tax I get £900. Alot of work for not alot of money imo :biggrin: