hitch climber/srt combo idea

Rod

Sure yes that is good and can be used in many situations.

The whole point of SRT though is efficient access to the crown. Replacing that with a Ddrt system defeats the object. It would work on jobs where you only need to work off a few low branches on one side of the tree.

I think I saw noddy doing this same thing in the first climbing comp I ever went to in 2002, except he footlocked up one line and had another Ddrt system waiting for him once up there.

did i see a pulley saver in your skinny beech vid

and am i right you have to climb up to install it?

could you have set up like this to have an easier climb to the top or even have been cutting on the way up

ps i know the point of the srt it was the only way i could think of to describe the rope with the pulley bit

Edited by Rod
didnt make sence

did i see a pulley saver in your skinny beech vid

and am i right you have to climb up to install it?

could you have set up like this to have an easier climb to the top or even have been cutting on the way up

ps i know the point of the srt it was the only way i could think of to describe the rope with the pulley bit

Well sort of.

In that video its a rope guide instalation (a pulley saver as you call it) but I've footlocked up to that point using a pre installed line set from a throwline. So no different to Str and then installing a saver and way better than installing a saver from the ground and then body thrusting up.

And yes, I did work the tree on the way up, I cut many small frithy bits off, but of course I couldn't cut anything major off until I had got to the top and installed the rigging system.

Hi Rupe

That's quite a memory you have. The system I used then had way too much rope involved. In retrospect it could have been done a bit more efficiently.

I've always thought of this type of system as a floating false crotch, really good for working the lower canopy. The single line removes the need to isolate a branch making set up swifter.

Cheers

Nod

No, you should of had more rope!! It was the coolest thing I ever saw, your my hero!

It is a good method, but there are many methods all with their own advantages/disadvantages. A floatign false crotch is great for working one side of a tree on you way up and can eliminate the need to ever get to the top, so if that suits the work you are doing then perfect.

If you are going to work the whole tree then footlock or srt is more efficient and you can still work a bit on your way up.

In my video I couln't get my throwline into a perfect TIP, so there was always going to be some climbing to get to where I wanted to be but I didn't struggle up because og no friction saver, I struggled up with a pantin and ascenders instead!

just had a flash of insperation (as you do)

to do the whole friction saver instalation thing

here we go

instal a line for an srt setup but on the end of the line fit a friction saver pulley then set up your hitch climber and line through it ready to use. pull the srt line and pulley up to the desired height lock it off hey presto no friction no climbing up to instal a friction saver jobs a good un

dose this make any sense? thoughts please

Hi check out the drt off srt thread . Think someone put up a little vid :thumbup: Hi sorry If I remember its a tad different . Sorry .

Edited by White Noise

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing to bare in mind here is the increased loading at the anchor point - potentially double what it would normally be in a standard Ddrt. When the legs of the rope are separated (one end attached to the climber and the other to the base of the tree) the anchor then supports the weight of the climber and an equal and opposite force to prevent the load (climber) from falling/moving.

Almost like a set of scales that need to balance, with 100kgs on either side the overall weight on the scales will be 200kgs.

this is a great method to use for tree access and safety as ur groundy can lower you do if needed. you can also tie a alpine butterfly, put your pulley in and drt system, pull it up to what ever height you need. then srt up the rest thats of the rope thats below ur pulley or single line footlock etc etc. and change on to drt system when ever needed.

so just set it to the height/limb you need the branch walk do work, go back on to srt/footlock and pull up drt system to next height needed etc. this whole process you can be lower down. unless you have on your landyard, and at all times it double the weight on your anchor point, as mentioned before.

and its perfect that it floats around so much, cos thats means your anchor point is at the very top of the branch. also everything is reviable from the ground, with nothing that could get stuck. i use this system all the time.

can be a good method to install a rigging point if your not climbing anywhere near where it needs to be, done it a few times but is a very gear heavy way of installing a friction saver IMO.

PS if you rig off this set up then the loading will be up tp quadruple that of the peice being lowered (gulp)